Brakes again

coldair

I'm trying to decide what to do about my brakes I have a junk powermaster so I would like to change to
the powerboost if I can I'm just not sure about the vaccum set up I know this has been talked to death but I need so sound advise and help. Is there any donor cars that would have either system, out here where I am know body really knows what a GN is.
Thanks for any help that could be given
Coldair

Buy the power master from kirbans

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

In the next two to three months I'm a buy a booster off a 1979 diesel cutlass and hope that it fits. The reason I'm going to try that swap is because you can use the stock style lines as the 84/85 gn and still has the accumulator like the Bosch units and price is only around $130. I hope it fits or Maybe someone in this forum can let us know if they've tried that booster?

Attachments

• IMG_3643.PNG
    IMG_3643.PNG
    269.2 KB · Views: 119
In the next two to three months I'm a buy a booster off a 1979 diesel cutlass and hope that it fits. The reason I'm going to try that swap is because you can use the stock style lines as the 84/85 gn and still has the accumulator like the Bosch units and price is only around $130. I hope it fits or Maybe someone in this forum can let us know if they've tried that booster?
This is interesting. please keep us updated

Good advice to call Kirban... Technology on the Powermaster rebuild have gotten much better in the past couple of years or so.
Kirban may offer you a core adjustment on the bad Powermaster, but Kirban definitely would be able to help you on PowerBoost
brake system that you wanting to change over to. Good Luck ..

Good advice to call Kirban... Technology on the Powermaster rebuild have gotten much better in the past couple of years or so.
Kirban may offer you a core adjustment on the bad Powermaster, but Kirban definitely would be able to help you on PowerBoost
brake system that you wanting to change over to. Good Luck ..
Thanks but I spoke to him on a different issue/part and he could not give a straight answer and took my number and told me he would call me back and I never heard from him. I rather not bug the guy unless I'm going to buy something that is listed on his website.

I saw a system from this place on Benny's car . Really nice system. They are not a vendor here so that sucks. I'm sure there is a vendor here that does sell them www.hydratechbraking.com. Not cheap.... I just checked. Kirbans has it # 7618. Good luck.

Last edited:
so i stumbled upon this. and it looks like this may be identical to the blue diesel one you posted, except they flipped it upside down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-84-87-B...ash=item43e5934dd4:g:sfUAAOxygPtSyE~i&vxp=mtr
Yes aftermarket turns them upside down. From the Buicks Oldsmobiles and even the Ford superduty that I remember when I installed one on my work truck all have the accumulator pointing towards the engine side. If you keep them the right side up like the dealers do them then from the what I've seen so far you'll be able to use the stock lines and plumbing even if you had the Bosch unit. Don't have to buy fancy steel braided or custom hoses to make this work bringing the cost way down.

Yes aftermarket turns them upside down. From the Buicks Oldsmobiles and even the Ford superduty that I remember when I installed one on my work truck all have the accumulator pointing towards the engine side. If you keep them the right side up like the dealers do them then from the what I've seen so far you'll be able to use the stock lines and plumbing even if you had the Bosch unit. Don't have to buy fancy steel braided or custom hoses to make this work bringing the cost way down.

do you know why these guys flip them in the first place? Why not keep it simple?

do you know why these guys flip them in the first place? Why not keep it simple?
So they can sell expensive hoses. I flipped my after market over in the bracket and bought stock lines for a 1983 (I think) T Type from Rock Auto and they were cheap and look factory.

So they can sell expensive hoses. I flipped my after market over in the bracket and bought stock lines for a 1983 (I think) T Type from Rock Auto and they were cheap and look factory.

unreal... all good info to save $$ got any pics??

so what are our options? (correct me if i am wrong)...
-early regals - will bolt up to firewall, require powermaster pedal, need custom or modified lines on 86-87 GN. Price- $150 ebay Part # Cardone 52-7211
-79 cutlass diesel - hopefully bolts up, requires powermaster pedal, works with 84-85, possible modified lines on 86-87 $130 ebay Part# Cardone 52-7127
-Bosch Unit- know nothing other than is the most expensive option at $300+ and might be a generic unit with an adapter plate

Coldair, you should contact Richard Clark's Garage about that powermaster. I dont know where you are located but in a few months there will be an event at his place in NC. I have seen him tear those down and literally have a training seminar on troubleshooting and rebuilding it. If anyone has any insight on powermaster advancements, it's him.(y)

Im back with another question I got a new vaccum set up but not sure about the brake pedal,
what do I need to get the pedal out of ?
Thanks Again

Im back with another question I got a new vaccum set up but not sure about the brake pedal,
what do I need to get the pedal out of ?
Thanks Again
When I went to Vacuum brakes, which I'll never go back to since nothing works like Hydraboost, I just drilled and tapped a hole in the stock brake pedal and put a grade eight bolt in, tacked it in place cut off the bolt head and had a pin in the proper location.

unreal... all good info to save $$ got any pics??

so what are our options? (correct me if i am wrong)...
-early regals - will bolt up to firewall, require powermaster pedal, need custom or modified lines on 86-87 GN. Price- $150 ebay Part # Cardone 52-7211
-79 cutlass diesel - hopefully bolts up, requires powermaster pedal, works with 84-85, possible modified lines on 86-87 $130 ebay Part# Cardone 52-7127
-Bosch Unit- know nothing other than is the most expensive option at $300+ and might be a generic unit with an adapter plate
Ive been out of town but when I get back I'll take some pics and post them.