Brake Replacement Help

Hey guys, i have an 85 T-Type and my powermaster brakes recently failed, so i bought a used vacuum set up, i have the old powermaster unit out, the pedal out, but the cover in the firewall wont come out, i have the 4 nuts off of it on the inside, but there is a little clip that holds a huge bundle of wires to it and i dont know how to get it off without breaking things. Anyone have any advice for what i should do?

I just completed this swap a couple months back.

You have the pedal off and that's the hard part (except for getting the new pedal in!!!) On mine, one of the four nuts you describe above was hidden BEHIND the clip that holds the bundle of wires. That clip was secured on to the stud by one of those (this is the technical name for it) little-washer-looking-thingies-with-teeth-on-the-inside. I just ripped the LWLTWTOTI off and the clip with the bundle of wires pulled right off the stud.

I'm at work now. I should between about 5PM and 6PM. Then home for good around 7:30 or 8PM tonight. If you'd like to call me, post a reply to this thread and I'll PM you with my phone number.

Yep four bolts, fun to see, remove the seat, make your life easier, I used a 15" extension and deep socket, remove the nuts holding the clip on the stud, then the nut behind it as I recall, getting the pedal back on was the fun part for me, and I did the hydroboost swap, best mod ever.

I just completed this swap a couple months back.

You have the pedal off and that's the hard part (except for getting the new pedal in!!!) On mine, one of the four nuts you describe above was hidden BEHIND the clip that holds the bundle of wires. That clip was secured on to the stud by one of those (this is the technical name for it) little-washer-looking-thingies-with-teeth-on-the-inside. I just ripped the LWLTWTOTI off and the clip with the bundle of wires pulled right off the stud.

I'm at work now. I should between about 5PM and 6PM. Then home for good around 7:30 or 8PM tonight. If you'd like to call me, post a reply to this thread and I'll PM you with my phone number.
Well how would i pull that washer off? Because i have a ton of wires around it and dont have much room.

on mine, i tooke 3 of the nuts off from the inside of the car (on the firewall). I didn't see a fourth nut, so I figured the PO had changed it out at some point since PM's have a habit of going bad. I did have this bundle of wires with a metal tab off of them that was "hung" on the fourth stud that had no nut. So i got under the hood and began to wiggle the whole PM unit (adaptor and all) out. I couldn't get it to budge. It was like that glob of wires was holding it on. I didn't want to break any wires, so I crawled back under the dash to remove the tab off of the stud. That little retaining washer with the teeth on it was a BIG PITA to get off. No room to work and hard to get anything in there. Long story short, once I got that little retainer off and pulled the tab connected to the wiring harness off - PRESTO - there was the fourth nut. I took it off and the whole unit came right out.

Mine is an 87. I think yours is an 85 - it might have been set up slightly different back then, but it can't be all that different.

I'm trying to find some pics to post up. Call me if you want to.

on mine, i tooke 3 of the nuts off from the inside of the car (on the firewall). I didn't see a fourth nut, so I figured the PO had changed it out at some point since PM's have a habit of going bad. I did have this bundle of wires with a metal tab off of them that was "hung" on the fourth stud that had no nut. So i got under the hood and began to wiggle the whole PM unit (adaptor and all) out. I couldn't get it to budge. It was like that glob of wires was holding it on. I didn't want to break any wires, so I crawled back under the dash to remove the tab off of the stud. That little retaining washer with the teeth on it was a BIG PITA to get off. No room to work and hard to get anything in there. Long story short, once I got that little retainer off and pulled the tab connected to the wiring harness off - PRESTO - there was the fourth nut. I took it off and the whole unit came right out.

Mine is an 87. I think yours is an 85 - it might have been set up slightly different back then, but it can't be all that different.

I'm trying to find some pics to post up. Call me if you want to.

Well since your in another country i dont want to rack up my phone bill, living alone sucks haha, what did you use to pry it off? Because your setup is exactly like mine it sounds like.

Makes sense - in order to get the retaining washer off, I grabbed the smallest flat blade screwdriver I had (not really all that small) and pried around to loosen it. Then I got my small pair of needle nose and worked it off. It took a while.

Here's a post to another thread about the swap. I can't figure out how to "hyperlink" you to it, so just copy & paste to another window in your browser. http://turbobuick.com/forums/thread...rom-specialadditions-com.374706/#post-2992948

Post #6 is a link to the gnttype.org vacuum conversion procedure.
Post #7 are some of my additions to the procedure. You might read over it to see if that helps.

I'll be paying attention via the iphone app and will be on my browser for awhile.

Makes sense - in order to get the retaining washer off, I grabbed the smallest flat blade screwdriver I had (not really all that small) and pried around to loosen it. Then I got my small pair of needle nose and worked it off. It took a while.

Here's a post to another thread about the swap. I can't figure out how to "hyperlink" you to it, so just copy & paste to another window in your browser. http://turbobuick.com/forums/thread...rom-specialadditions-com.374706/#post-2992948

Post #6 is a link to the gnttype.org vacuum conversion procedure.
Post #7 are some of my additions to the procedure. You might read over it to see if that helps.

I'll be paying attention via the iphone app and will be on my browser for awhile.
Thank you for the advice WE2, i got it done finally, i had to get my friend with smaller hands to get the pivot bolt in, but i got it. Now i just need a working transmissiom haha.