Brake line replacement?? who sells

Quick6

Anyone replaced the rubber brake lines with something like a braided steel line or something like it? If so where can I get it and did it help give a better brake pedal feel?? Thanks!!!

Russell sells a nice kit Jegs and Summit I think both have it.

Not easy to install on a heavily rusty car. Especially the back rubber line.

Mine were cracked so bad when we finally got them out I would swear the brakes were much better. :D

Peace of mind certainly is now. :)

Actually the pedal feel was slightly better, I did it for safety, certainly not worth the $$$ in pedal feel.

Kits about $75 or so.

HTH

Thanks guys, that was quick!! I just replaced the powermaster today and while bleeding the brakes I thought about the rubber lines. Rust is not an issue and I sure would like a little better pedal feel.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Not easy to install on a heavily rusty car. Especially the back rubber line.
QUICK6, My 87GN is low mile and totally rust free, yet the rear flex line had "seized" to the hard line, over the rear axle.

By the time I got the rubber line off, the hard line (that runs from rear axle to Combi valve) was mangled and I had to replace it. Not the easiest job to do :mad:

If removing the rear rubber line, I'd advise :

1) soak the fittings with PB Blaster, *much* more effective than Liq Wrench, I think.

2) use only a 6-sided flare nut wrench, 12-point will likely slip & round off the inverted flare nut.

3) you may still need to apply heat to the fitting if it's frozen tight, eg a portable MAPP torch. You're working near a bomb (the gas tank), be Careful !!

4) when re-assembling, put a small bit of anti-seize on the threads of the flare nut (but careful not to let it get inside the brake line).

I found that if you put Vice-Grips on the fitting and on the metal end of the brake line, a good swift crack with a hammer to the Vice-Grip and pre-lubing as stated will break it loose. This is a job that won't tolerate gentle persuasion. This method has the best odds of not goofing up the flats on the brake line more than necessary.