Brake lights don't work...

DynamicGN

Tried a search no luck...bulbs are good, rear lights work when headlights are on but only 3rd brake light works when I brake. Any instructions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

in the trunk drivers side there is a flat plug connector that has all the rear light wires in it. i would un plug this connector and check there for power and ground,,,chances are that something corroded at this point or a ground wire headed back there broke, i had a similar issue back there and had to cut the wire and install a ground screw in the trunk area and ground all the tail lights at that point

the more i think about it...when u say the rear lights work when the headlights are on do you mean that the brake lights work when the head lights are on or just the rear parking lights??? if the rear brake lights never work only the parking lights in the rear i would check the brake switch...i believe we have 2 brake switches on our cars one for the 3rd and another serves the full set of brake lights.....bad switch/out of adjustment/or connection at the brake pedal may be your cause

Sorry, I meant the parking lights work....for some reason all the brake lights work sometimes, however not lately..ill check the ground and the switch and let you know. Thanks

The turn signals and hazards use the same circuit. If they are working the turn signal switch in the column is on the fritz.

RL

The turn signals and hazards use the same circuit. If they are working the turn signal switch in the column is on the fritz.

RL

There's two things I think it could be. In the flat connector under the column, there's a white wire that corrodes going into the connecter.

Or, it could be a defective turn signal switch as noted above.

There's two things I think it could be. In the flat connector under the column, there's a white wire that corrodes going into the connecter.

Or, it could be a defective turn signal switch as noted above.
I had the same problem and it was the flat connector as stated in the last post. Easy fix if that is the problem. The white wire was broken.

I have had both happen. the turn signal switch is a bitch, especially feeding the connector through the column. I cut the connector off, feed the wire down, and reconnect the connector using bare butt splices, solder, and heat shrink tubing.

Same thing happened on my 92 Eldorado, had to replace the turn signal switch in that too.

It's the white wire, its broken, I can clearly see it...it tested it and brake lights work...now time to fix it...thanks guys