Brake fluid spilling out resivour, help?

cgamino

I have had a issue with my brakes going soft. I assumed it was the powermaster and/or accumulator ball possibly the switch. I ran it thru the decompression and had my friend pump the pedal 10 times ign off. I observed the brake fluid resivour shooting fluid out the side. It appears that the rubber gasket is fitting properly, but it might not be secured tight enough. Would this be the issue not allowing pressure in the system? Has anyone ever had this issue, and a remedy? thanks in advance

The problem is someone added brake fluid to it without depressurizing the system, now that you are depressurizing it the excess fluid is coming out of the cap.

Sadly this is not the problem you are trying to diagnose.

I'd agree. You have to check the level of the system with the accumulator depressurized. If you add when the system is charged, you have too much and it will force its way out.

For your soft brakes, give us the symptoms. Do you ever see the brake warning light come on? Does the pump seem to run more often than it should? Are they spongy like there is air in the system?

brake fluid

I only had a issues like three times. the brake pedal went soft and I had no brakes for a split second. I pumped the braked a couple times and the brakes came back, and were fine. This was like three times in one year. But it still was scary. The light came on for a second till the brakes came back...

If it happens that infrequently, I'd suspect a failing pressure switch. The switch tells the pump to charge the system when pressure drops below the set psi, which is around 525. If your switch didn't tell the pump to run, you won't have enough charge to help out. Pumping the brakes might have jump started the switch so it kicked in and brought the pressure up to the correct levels at which point the pump would stop. You can test the switch with a multimeter by making sure all terminals have continuity to each other. It could also be the pump itself.

An accumulator failing would be much more noticeable and would be a frequent occurrence. The pump would run a lot more often because the accumulator is bleeding off pressure. Your pump should only run for a few seconds every 3-4 brake uses. If the accumulator leaks too bad, the pump will run a ton and you won't get much assist. The brake light will also be a constant companion.

Thanks you are exactly right.

Yes I did fill the reservoir without decompressing the system. Think I hurt anything? I just check it and took some fluid out and did it the right way this time. I will check the switch, and the pump. It just seems wierd that it only occured like I said three times all last year. and I drove the car every weekend just about weather permiting. Thanks for your time and input, it really helped.

I doubt you hurt anything at all. Just keep in mind brake fluid is a wonderful paint stripper. :) If your pump was going bad, it will usually blow the 30 amp fuse in your fuse panel. I am still thinking switch, but test it. It may even test good given that it happens so infrequently.