brake fluid - old vs synthetic ?

sam87

old but still runnin
At local Advance Auto, all brands of brake fluid are now labeled as synthetic. Anyone know if this is something new? Is all brake fluid changing to synthetic? Can fluid labeled as DOT 3 synthetic be mixed with the older DOT 3 fluid? :)

I would use a standard dot-3. In a car thats over 20 years old I wouldnt want to put anything in that may compromise the seals, or brake lines.

At local Advance Auto, all brands of brake fluid are now labeled as synthetic. Anyone know if this is something new? Is all brake fluid changing to synthetic? Can fluid labeled as DOT 3 synthetic be mixed with the older DOT 3 fluid? :)

I have been running Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (NOT Silicone) for at least 10 years (when I added the Baer Discs) I Highly Recommend it :biggrin:. I Believe you can mix it, just as you can regular and synthetic oil (Synthetic Blend ;)), but doublecheck the label. I would strongly recommend flushing your system completely and going with the synthetic. :cool: (or at Least flush your system - something most people overlook)

FYI - I did convert to Vac. brakes long before the Baer brakes.