boxing the frame, leave openings for bushings?

85begalttype

just a v6
im going to be boxing the middle section of my frame before i install it back under the body. dont remember how the old bushings were removed, but do i need to leave openings to slide the lower body bushing in or are the holes at the bottom of the frame large enough to fit the bushing through?

You have to make a hole to be able to put the bushings in. I didn't and realized it until after I boxed mine.:oops: I started with a 3 speed frame and added the mount for the crossmember after I boxed it. I will tell you that my welding is crappy but the welder was having issues with the feed. Ended up getting a new welder and it works much better now. I used a 1 & 5/8" hole saw and cut the area between the holes. Wish I'd made them a little smaller but they look pretty good.:)
DSCN0001.JPGDSCN0002.JPG

You have to make a hole to be able to put the bushings in. I didn't and realized it until after I boxed mine.:oops: I started with a 3 speed frame and added the mount for the crossmember after I boxed it. I will tell you that my welding is crappy but the welder was having issues with the feed. Ended up getting a new welder and it works much better now. I used a 1 & 5/8" hole saw and cut the area between the holes. Wish I'd made them a little smaller but they look pretty good.:)
View attachment 159562View attachment 159563

Which holes are you talking about cutiing with a hole saw. When i fixed my bushing areas I didnt even realize it but if the holes arent perfectly lined up your gonna have a FUN time getting it all bolted up, trust me:D

Which holes are you talking about cutiing with a hole saw. When i fixed my bushing areas I didnt even realize it but if the holes arent perfectly lined up your gonna have a FUN time getting it all bolted up, trust me:D

hes talking about the holes on the side of the frame, so you can fit the lower bushing inside, the elongated holes in the pictures he posted.

View attachment 159562View attachment 159563
thanks for the reply, a hole saw is a good idea, just needs to big enough to slide in the bushings.

thanks for the reply, a hole saw is a good idea, just needs to big enough to slide in the bushings.
When I realized what I'd done I thought about using a torch but just didn't want to have the rough edges it can produce. After looking at the old bushing I realized it needed to be tall enough to get my hand in at the same time and I should've put the 2 holes closer but it doesn't seem to effect stregnth at all. I will also say that you need to use 1/8" thick steel for the center rather than something heavier. It doesn't need much to make it a whole lot stronger and I actually used some scrap I had laying around. I will be adding a hole or 2 where the frame bends inward for drainage though. That way water won't collect in one certain spot and rust that area.:)

When I realized what I'd done I thought about using a torch but just didn't want to have the rough edges it can produce. After looking at the old bushing I realized it needed to be tall enough to get my hand in at the same time and I should've put the 2 holes closer but it doesn't seem to effect stregnth at all. I will also say that you need to use 1/8" thick steel for the center rather than something heavier. It doesn't need much to make it a whole lot stronger and I actually used some scrap I had laying around. I will be adding a hole or 2 where the frame bends inward for drainage though. That way water won't collect in one certain spot and rust that area.:)

ok thanks sounds like a good idea, im finally earning extra money again and so i can finally finish my 2year frame off resto sometime this summer if all goes well.:) cant wait to see how it rides with boxed frame, new springs, shocks, bushings,, boxed control arms, sound mat interior :cool: