BOV vs. Wastegate

turbo blue 3.8

Asphalt Cowboy
Alright I've got a question: I'm goin' to have to buy a new turbo:( and I want to purchase a BOV with it:cool: . But I'm lookin' for some of the pro's and con's of BOV's and Wastegates and which would be better to put in my street/strip HA 84 GN. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks. Also any new turbo advice would be nice I'm lookin' to buy a BB unit preferably from turbonetics:biggrin: : good choice or bad choice?:confused:

They do different things and most GN owner don't have either.

If you are worried about compressor surge at WOT then get the BOV.

The GN's have good internal wastegates so unless you're running a large turbo or want a really low amount of boost then leave that alone.

Got a PM about my post so I need to clarify.

If you are worried about surge AFTER WOT then get the BOV.

Is compressor suge after WOT a big problem with these cars? I've heard that there is really no need for a BOV with and automatic transmission.

I know I am going to hear about this!

If I had understood correctly?? A waste gate controls the exhaust part of the turbo and bleeds it off to maintian a certain amount of boost? Kind of like the acctuator does, but usually for bigger turbos.

As far as the BOV, you are right about not really needing one for an automatic car.

I have a 1990 Ford Ranger and it has a 5 speed trans in it. I had a hard time keeping the turbo spooled up in it. Every time I changed gears the turbo would spool down and I would have lag all the time. I put a blow off valve in it to stop the surge.
Every time I change gears now it blows off the excess boost when the throttle plate closes.
Unlike most people I do not just let mine blow off into the engine compartment to sound cool. I have mine set up so when it blows off it goes into the intake right before the turbo:rolleyes: Keeps the boost up where I like it.

I don't know if that helps you understand the differance at all?

I have an external wastegate on mine but no BOV.
How big of a turbo you looking to go? I'm going to sell a GT4276 never used but it's probably way too much turbo for you.

Yeah mine's not a dedicated drag car it's a street/strip car looking more fer like a small turbonetics BB turbo but thanks any way. I mainly wanted to know...I guess if a BOV would help my car at all be it by makeing it last longer or in the performance department. The wastegate was more or less a wet dream fer me, at least for now.....