BOV question for people using them

Hey everyone. I know this is a hotly debated subject on the board on whether the Turbo Regals actually need a BOV or not but I just bought my car about a month and a half ago and it had one on it already. I have been chasing a vacuum leak over the weekend and have most of it nailed down but I need some help from those of you that have BOV's on your cars. The vacuum line running to my valve is good and will hold vacuum but when I hook up my hand pump to the valve itself it doesnt hold vacuum it slowly bleeds off. I havent ever dealt with a BOV before and I assume they are suppossed to hold vacuum since they operate off a pressure change. If it doesnt hold vacuum do I need a new one or some kind of rebuild kit for it? It is an HKS I dont know exactly what one there is no part number on it and doesnt look like any I see on there website currently. Im attaching a picture of it just so that it can be seen. Any information would be greatly appreciated Im trying to get my car back on the road so I can actually enjoy it and not have it running blow your head gasket rich. Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0086 copy.jpg
    100_0086 copy.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for the tip I will do that and see if it fixes the problem. Anyone else have any other ideas in case that one doesnt work?

Bov

headstrong3157 said:
Thanks for the tip I will do that and see if it fixes the problem. Anyone else have any other ideas in case that one doesnt work?

Ill give it a shot. The only experience I have is on mine. It is a new HKS sequential. Not sure if it is supposed to hold alot of vac over normal conditions.

The way mine works is that it is hooked to the Vac and when the motor is under boost and you let off the throttle at rpm, it creates a large amount of vac due to the throttle blades being slammed suddenly shut with the motor still at rpm. This make enough vac to open the BOB and alow the pressure in the up pipe to escape. Make sense? Can you hear is belch when you let off the throttle under boost?

It should hold a small amount of vac though...Normal operating vac, not sure what that would be. Maybe the seals are gone if it will not hold any vac?

Hope this helps a little.

Dennis

Thanks for the tips and information. I will see what I can get worked out this weekend on it. If I cant get it stopped then I will have to call HKS and see whats going on with it. I may have to invest in a new one. I will update after I try fixing it.

Well the leaky blow-off valve is fixed. I loosened the nut on the adjustment screw and put some teflon tape behind it and then tightened the nut back down and bam no more leaking. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Yeah I see the Greater Wichita Turbo Regal Ass. link on your post so the set-up should look pretty familiar. No worries guys the car will be well taken care of I promise you that. I couldnt live with myself if I let it go downhill with the shape it was in when I got it from Brian. Just trying to learn some about the stuff on it that I've never dealt with before mainly the BOV. Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Hey I'm thinking about getting a BOV to, I heard the TIAL is good for holding 30psi plus, anything else out there? Also How do I pipe it if I decide to get one? do I need a y splitter to connect it to the wastegate? If anyone has a diagram for our cars that'd be great!

I have been looking into a setup like that. My question is this- although you said your car came like that, is it possible to buy those inlet pipes with the BOV mount already welded to them? I know how to weld, its just that I dont have a welder presently, nor facilities to machine a mount. What type of BOV are you running, too?

To those who have fabricated mounts- is it pretty much just an eyeball job? Basically, you buy the BOV kit and just figure what is necessary to weld it to that inlet pipe?

the hks super-sequential is the one to get. All the BOV companies (import aftermarket) sell the universal mount, yes you will have to weld it.

im currently using using the greddy type R , but plan to switch to the hks ssqv

I've had an HKS SSQV on my car for about 3-4 years now... i love it! never had any vaccum problems and from what i hear now - everybody wants this one.... i guess i was ahead of my time :cool: . My bov makes a distinct sound when letting off of throttle which, when used right can be used to startle annoying motorists.....hahaha ;) j/k

Royal-T-Ltd said:
I've had an HKS SSQV on my car for about 3-4 years now... i love it! never had any vaccum problems and from what i hear now - everybody wants this one.... i guess i was ahead of my time :cool: . My bov makes a distinct sound when letting off of throttle which, when used right can be used to startle annoying motorists.....hahaha ;) j/k
I think I'm going to run mine into some sort of muffler because I hate the noise but acknoldge the need for one, especially with my blow through MAF.

Everyone seems to be a fan of the HKS super sequential....

Any thoughts on the GReddy Type S? Is there anyone here who is using one?