BOV/driving habit theory

turbo buicks

ESADAH!!!
i know the views on using a BOV are highly contrasting on this board. my theory is that a BOV would be a good idea for a person who lets out of the gas in boost a lot (like i do) rather than someone who either slowly lets off or lets off in no boost. i know driving habits vary between different people. people who drive their cars easy put less wear 'n tear on parts than a people who drive a bit on the aggressive side (me). does my BOV/driving habit theory make any sense?

i have a REALLY bad habit of letting off the gas really quick when under boost...my te-44 is almost brand new with 3k miles on it so i am also working on getting a bov installed this winter...

the wastgates job isnt to relieve excess boost preassure since its on the turbine side thats only to keep you from over boosting,by bleeding off excess exahust gases. At least thats what its suppose to do. But a BOV is like a wastegate for the compressor side to keep the charged air from slaming back into the compressor blades when you let off under boost.

Even my 84 has compressor surge......now im trying to figure out how im going to run a BOV

its not about the WG emptying quick enough, its about the pressure in the intake under boost being forced back into the compressor housing and the amount of boost this occurs at and how frequently it happens. i think a BOV is a good idea for those who let off the gas under boost a lot b/c it would make sense that their turbo would be seeing more stress more often than those who let off their gas slowly or not under boost.

What brand bov should I get.. I have been looking into them for about a month now. Not sure which one to get. Which are the better ones to get???

Ir will depend on the area you are trying to relieve pres from. If you are running a turbo that moves a LOT of air, and you have a BIG F/M you will need a larger BOV. I would look on ebay, not for a deal, even though there are some to be had, But there are a ton on there and can get an idea on the differences between them. Prices start out at $20 for the Boush plastic BOV to a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck,God speed. Or is that TURBO speed?

all my cars are "drivin like ya stole em" everyday!!!...low-mid 11 cars...still dont buy the BOV....oppps I only have TE 44s an a few 60s.....now with a BIG turbo maybe :p

Those are big enough in my opinion, but you havn't needed one yet so I guess you are luckier that me. :D I have been racing for years. From 13.50's to 8.30's, on my turbo race car I ran two very large HKS BOV'S The top guy's in the country all use them and they arn't cheap. So if they arn't needed, there shure a lot of guy's who know how to make 1500 to 2000 HP wasting money.

Sorry just makes sense to me.

Since this thread is primarilly populated by pro BOV guys (must be youngsters) ;)
I'll add my .02

Like grumpy, I drive my car like it's been stollen. Been driving it that way for over 15 years!! I have NEVER, let me repeat, NEVER suffered a turbo failure because of it.
I'm in boost a lot, and let out quick (especially at the track). My PTE44 has well over 50,000 miles on it now and still going strong. My original stock turbo is still going strong (on another car). My 87's TA49 is still romping along after 20,000+.

Trust me, BOV's IMHO are a total wast of money on our daily driver's.
They might be good for the ricers, and anyone else with a stick, but not here.

Waste your money on something worthwhile.

OK, I've said my piece. ;)

i agree with dave.

no BOV:
stock turbo 100,000 miles seal went

te-44 25,000 miles ( it was used and had 20,000 RACE MILES at 30 psi) seal went

te-60 20,000 miles, sold to a buddy and he has 5000 miles on it

t-76 o miles as of yet :) will not have a bov

This year marks the 10th year i have been into gn's and the 7th year i have owned cars. i personally have never seen a failure due to comp surge. instead of BOV'S you should all buy turbo savers from pte. the REAL failure comes from coked oil in the feed line, starving the turbo.

add another old fart to the list of "experienced" TR owners who believe a BOV is a waste of money and a source of problems (can you say leaks....)

the only turbo I have wasted had gasket material pass through......never any problems because of a lack of a blow off valve

GM apparently didn't think one was needed and I agree

I never said you do need one with a stock turbo, The amount of air it moves and the area that air fit's into on the stock turbo the motor can more easly injest.

I may not be as" experienced" with " driving" TR's as you Woody but I sure didn't fall off the wagon yesterday when it comes to Turbo's or turbocharged cars or how to turn a wrench on them.

There are many ways to skin a cat IMHO you can get away without them, but if you take 1 car run it for x number of passes or miles at x boost without a BOV and rebuild the turbo do the same as above with a BOV you WILL see less wear on the thrust than without.

How many people have had play on the shaft "in and out"? That is thrust wear, and the only way to wear the thrust without really bad oil is compressor slam.Most TR owners take above average care of their cars so I dought Oil is causing MOST of these thrusts wearing out.

I'm certainly no expert. (Hell I don't even play one on the internet)
But some of the 1st tech stuff I read about when buying my 97 Eclipse was the BOV. Hell I opened the hood and wondered what the hell the extra do-dad was for.

Anyway, as azgn said... 'LEAKS'! I would like to see more mention of proper BOV type and not just go on ebay and grab any old one, because it’s better than nothing. The 1st thing 2gen Eclipse guys do is replace the BOV with one from a 1st gen or aftermarket. Once you start to turn the boost up, the stock BOV leaks (hell many report the stock one leaks at stock boost levels) So what I'm saying is now your poor turbo is trying to push 22psi to maintain your 15psi street trim (that your used 2gen Eclipse BOV can't hold). Hell you might as well punch a few holes in your cooler while you’re at it. So by trying to SAVE your turbo from your driving habits you are beating the ever-loving crap out of it.

I'm not going to comment on if it is better or not to have one. I WILL leave it on my 5-spd Eclipse and I will NOT put one on my Buick. I would just like to see the importance of 'proper' research into this project stressed. Not just 'get one and save your turbo'

Oh well, I'll go back in hiding... hope I didn't piss anyone off.

If you were referring to me telling anyone interested in one to look at the ones on ebay, I never said to buy one or gave an opinion on one to buy. I just thought there is a lot on there with a lot of discriptions on each.

But as far as leaking air, quality BOV don't leak if installed right.I know nothing about Eclipse BOV's but I don't think I would buy one from the issues you say others have had.

Ok pro-BOV guys, explain this one: Not ONE turbo maker has a BOV. Why not?
I know if turbonetics or limit or PTE made one or endorced one i would buy it but they dont? Ever wonder why?

And did you notice they are pretty tight lipped about the subject?

Originally posted by Trbobuick
Ok pro-BOV guys, explain this one: Not ONE turbo maker has a BOV. Why not?
I know if turbonetics or limit or PTE made one or endorced one i would buy it but they dont? Ever wonder why?

And did you notice they are pretty tight lipped about the subject?

Probably because there is no profit in them, and they are tight lipped about it because they know you probably *should* be using one but they dont want to sell them. (Just kidding!)

I believe it all depends on the driving style and amount of air going through; for drag racing and regular usage its not necessary (ie 99% of guys here). However, road racing guys will probably want one because on a typical lap they are abusing the turbo with the many quick throttle closings, 1000 times harder than a few 1/4 mile passes. I dont know how bad compressor surge is on the turbo; but I cant imagine that it's a good thing. I have no hard data to justify the expense of a blowoff valve. All that air suddenly blocked and going back towards the spinning blades which forced it in cant be "good" for the turbo. I'm into road racing (previously with my GN and now with my TTA) and observed this first hand. I will do more research but it only seems like a good precaution for someone who does this type of racing.

Bob