Bought a Motec

Big Stu

Flogged Donkey
Got it last week, pretty state of the art little box. Paid $1000 shipped for a brand new M48 with a box full of goodies. Checked the serial out and everything is okay. Guy just needed the money I guess, lucky me. :D Anyway, just thought I'd gloat, er, share. ;)

Big Stu said:
Got it last week, pretty state of the art little box. Paid $1000 shipped for a brand new M48 with a box full of goodies. Checked the serial out and everything is okay. Guy just needed the money I guess, lucky me. :D Anyway, just thought I'd gloat, er, share. ;)

If you find another don't forget my number!!! :mad:

So when are you taking the junk back to Duttweiler's.
It sounds like you are getting scary close!

John Wilde said:
So when are you taking the junk back to Duttweiler's.
It sounds like you are getting scary close!

I need a cam, lifters, rockers, pushrods and an intercooler. Then it's party time... :D

Big Stu said:
I need a cam, lifters, rockers, pushrods and an intercooler. Then it's party time... :D

I would let Kenny do the cam, lifters and pushrods.
You can pick up the rocker used and for the intercooler what are you thinking?

John Wilde said:
I would let Kenny do the cam, lifters and pushrods.
You can pick up the rocker used and for the intercooler what are you thinking?

I agree, I think he likes 1.7 ratio rockers if I'm not mistaken. I'd like a nice liquid, but want in one hand, s**t in the other, see which one fills up quicker. :D :eek: I don't know, probably whatever one I run across that is suitable, I wouldn't be against a really efficient air to air for the meanwhile. Kenny did make 1480hp with an air to air, so that should be okay.... :)

Big Stu said:
I agree, I think he likes 1.7 ratio rockers if I'm not mistaken. I'd like a nice liquid, but want in one hand, s**t in the other, see which one fills up quicker. :D :eek: I don't know, probably whatever one I run across that is suitable, I wouldn't be against a really efficient air to air for the meanwhile. Kenny did make 1480hp with an air to air, so that should be okay.... :)

Precision has a new one that Steve Petty has tested and loves
I think David Hance also runs one. It is called the PT-3000 and in is about $1900.
From everything that I have heard this is the unit that you will want.
If I was building a real race car they would have my money.

John Wilde said:
Precision has a new one that Steve Petty has tested and loves
I think David Hance also runs one. It is called the PT-3000 and in is about $1900.
From everything that I have heard this is the unit that you will want.
If I was building a real race car they would have my money.

It's a liquid? Any more info on it or does precisions site have any info? :)

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43774

Stu,

Read through the whole link when you get a chance;

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43774

Re: PT3000, anyone using it?
had a chance to test on the dyno and kinda at the track. remember that i have not tested the very best of 1 to the very best of another. for my car this thing is the sh$t! i am very pleased to finally buy something that works like i think it should. the corrected air in the dyno room was 640ft worse and i still picked up power@ the same boost level. it picked up power on the very 1st pull and repeated on the 2nd. the ONLY change was the new cooler. i used the same pump that i ran all year - which is about 22 gpm less than what is recommended. the inlet temps never grew on the dyno, they actually went down 1 deg. before each run the core temp was actually higher than my old cooler. i had trouble getting it as cold as before, maybe because my pump isnt big enough?
now for the track testing. we got to the track late and it was already cold. compound that by the fact that they had scraped the track and there were not alot of cars there to get the track "working" again. the 1st pass the car went to the right bad off the line. i pedaled it, got it back in the groove and then in high gear the car moved around alot and i let out. the inlet temps dropped 1 deg from the time i put my foot to the floor to build boost until i let out after i went to high gear. if i had to guess i would say it was about 500ft when i let out. for the 2nd pass we got in the left lane (thank god). made an adjustment to the car and it left straight, got out about 80-100 ft and blew the tires off, went right, and took out the 330 cones kinda before i realized what had happened. talk about getting your adrenaline going! if we had been in the right lane you guys would have seen a new paint job for sure next year. i will say 1 thing, this car definately has more power at all boost levels. right before it blew the tires off it actually set me in the seat, something that it has never done on just the turbo (we normally use nitrous to help give the car that swift kick in the a$$ it needs). we'll try it again thurs night and saturday (daytime) and hopefully we'll have better track data.
so far this intercooler solved the problem i have had all year of my inlet temps going up 10-20 deg (depending on outside temps) on a pass. is it worth the money? IMO, YES! i hope this helps a few out and yes i know i didnt tell all the info i regards to what the inlet temps were, what the boost was, what the power level was, and what the power level is. i wasnt given this piece for the purpose of testing and giving a testimonial. i had to pay (full price) just like everyone else. i have to keep some of the info for myself. take it easy and i hope this helps answer a few questions, but then again all anyone had to do was listen to Petty - he's a straight up guy and i listen and take his advice everytime i talk to him.

Thanks for the link to the info john. Not sure how hard it would be to adapt the hogans intake to the liquid intercooler as far as plumbing it. From what I've seen most guys run the tubing back through the firewall, not sure.... :confused:

Stu,

I have seen this a couple times, they basically move the throttle bodies to the rear of the plenem and block of the front. It is not that big of a deal!!! :eek:

Not to hijack but will an M48 run a MAF sensor or do I have to go to an M600 to get that?

Thanks,

Drat!
at $1000 it wouldn't be too much more than trying to get an OEM OBDII system to work with the old motor but an M600 is a huge chunk of change.