Bottom Grille Deflector Repair Ideas Please

87LtdT

Both corners ripped on the rubbery 36 x 12 lower air deflector. Any tips on repair so push pins will hold it without any further ripping??

Thanks, Bob

A couple of years back when I restored my T I ran into the same problem. What I did was clean all grease etc from the area surrounding the factory hole. Then I took some large plastic washers and used some special rubber type glue and bonded them around the hole on the inside to strengthen the area. Then, when you use the plastic fasteners from underneath, you can't tell they have been reinforced. I think I might have painted the whole thing with "bumper black" paint at the same time to freshen it up. Hope that helps.

Thanks Dk Red. You don't remember what that "...special rubber type glue ..." was do you??

Thanks in either case :)

Bob

I used black weather striping glue. It's held up so far.

87LtdT said:
Thanks Dk Red. You don't remember what that "...special rubber type glue ..." was do you??

Thanks in either case :)

Bob

I think it was from Lowes. They have a pretty big glue section. It was for rubber type applications and suggested for marine envirnoments etc. Nothing too special. Just wanted to make sure it would bond and hold.

Bweavy at Gbodyparts.com has a complete kit to replace all that stuff for about $50. I think it's new this month.