Bottom End Gone: Mint, Low Miles - Why?

GNXcess

Check *bay item #120106619405.

Low mileage car, looks to have been well taken care of. I believe this was in a dealership in New England a few years ago at something like $17K.

First, let's assume the car has NOT been hammered or run hard (or had a tire-smoking afternoon with the 17 year old detailer / inspection guy or something). I know it's a big assumption, but for the purposes of this question, let's stick with it.

Question: Why would the bottom end go out? Oil pressure or something simple? Could it be simply lack of use or storage conditions?

Best guesses to enlighten us?

Me neither. Says orginal paint but it has a GN spoiler on it.:confused: Does look pretty nice though. I think 14k with the engine gone is too high.

I don't remember seeing the car locally :cool:

This is the same car that was offered by Pleasant Hill Auto Sales of South Portland, ME circa August of 2005.

Not that this bears at all on my original question: How does one spin a bearing or wipe a lobe in a low mileage, unabused TR?

Is storage or some other factor in play?

Maybe most of the oil dripped out and someone took it on a beat run.:biggrin:

He says it's from a dry start. Which sounds like it sat up for a while & was then started without priming the pump first. After zooming in on the enlarged pic of the engine, it looks like it's out of coolant, and possibly the boost solenoid line has blown off. If that's the case, it could have contributed. They say even if the car is stored, the oil still has to be changed regularly due to condensation buildup. Plus the coolant builds up acid if not changed, at least the old stuff did. Bottom line, even if it's a collector car, there's still maintenance to be done. A stuck lifter also makes quite a racket too. But with 33 bids so far, there's most likely some guys on this board bidding, so maybe we'll find out what the deal is/was when it's all said & done.

I tried to buy it off ebay, no go.... wouldnt sell it outright and i dont blame him.
Its a perfect car, if i bought it i would not fix the motor, just park it for another 20 years.

Id have to go back, is it really up to 14 already?

BW