Borescope

bdeliman

Anyone have a recomendation on a decent borescope? I can't go for the $3,000 variety, but I've seen several for around $500. I read that some are dark and don't work very well. If anyone has ever used one that worked reasonably, let me know.

I have used them for Safe and Lock work and it is much like binoculars. Even the cheap ones work OK if they are new and gently used. The good ones are clearer, brighter, and a better/wider view, the super expensive ones are just a little better then the good ones but he mid and best quality assemble better/tighter and are easier to control with more lighting options.

But then I was using those things when LED flashlights cost 10 bazillion $ and that has changed big time.

If you are thinking about inspecting engines while they are still in the car you will need one that is a bit fancy because it will have to be flexible and long to be able to reach into the engine bay and then turn into the spark plug hole.

Don't know how good an engine tool it will make. If one is feeling funny enough about a part that they wish to see the part from the inside, it probably calls for disassembly because as suspected, it is busted.

My apologies for them negative waves :)

I actually have a problem with my Volvo, a spark plug electrode broke off and fell into the cylinder. I want to see if it's still in there and did it do much damage. The spark plug hole is vertical and I dropped a minature light down into the cylinder, but because the hole is recessed about 5 inches down, I can't see around much, just the center of the piston.

That sucks.

A cheap scope will probably work because you have lots of room and don't need to be able to go around a bend.

Maybe probe around with a magnetic pick-up tool or even a sticky thing on a wire???