Booster Plate

Kinda depends. If everything in your engine is as it should be and you have low oil pressure then run one. Although, I would think that with a HV pump you shouldn't need one unless something is wrong. Do you have low pressure?

Kinda depends. If everything in your engine is as it should be and you have low oil pressure then run one. Although, I would think that with a HV pump you shouldn't need one unless something is wrong. Do you have low pressure?
Actually, the motor in question has not been yet been fired to determine if low oil pressure would be a problem. The short block was assembled by Vic Holly, so someone familiar with turbo buicks did the assembly. I have heard that it is a good idea to use a booster plate, although I have heard that one needs to let the engine oil warm up first before getting underway due to possible excessive oil pressure. The front cover isn't even installed, so I am at a crossroads of, do I or don't I install it? I am getting a sense that the booster plate is an answer to low oil pressure problems, and probably a "don't use it if you don't need it" type of modification. Is that a correct statement?

Yes, if you've got a hv pump on there fire it up and check everything. You can put a booster plate on easy enough later. HTH james