Boost seems low-what could it be?

Steves87

Just installed my boost gauge and it seems that I am only getting about 15 pounds of boost at best. It will peak for a breaf second just over 15, but mostly sticks around 14 to a max of 15.

I have a Joe Lubrant chip which was set up for 17 lbs of boost. I also have added a Walbro 340 w/hot wire and a Big Mouth intake.

The boost felt a little weak to me (but the last turbo I had was a twin turbo 300 ZX) and the new boost gauge seems to confirm the weak boost.

Where should I even start to pinpoint the issue?

Sounds about right for a stocker...Buy a adj. actuator and turn it up some.

Nope...that's just the amount of boost the chip burner set it up for...You have to set the boost either with a adj. actuator (the most common way), or through some other boost controller.

Originally posted by Steves87
If the chip is set up for 17 lbs of boost, wouldn't it produce that much boost?

As was stated, NO. Our boost control systems are open loop. That is to say. The chip burner sets in a desired boost level in the chip.
But the chip/ecm has no way of knowing what boost is being made and cant adjust for that anyway.

An adjustable wategate actuator would allow for tweeking of the boost to match what the chip is set for.

BTW, the boost you're running is probably just fine for ordinary pump gas and that chip. Unless it's timing is fairly low, you wont be able to run 17# of boost on street gas without some detonation.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I am a little stumped. This is my first GN and I am confused on what gains are made from swapping a chip?

Again, I had a few 300 ZX twins and by swapping the ECM I gained about 40 horses.

Did the chip pretty much do the exact same thing as the stock chip except it now allows me more boost if I can create it?