boost question

ny84t-type

I just installed a boost gauge and show no boost when i accelerate,I blow thro the tube and it shows some movement as well as sucking on tube.I hear the turbo spooling up but no reading. My factory gauge in dash not working also. Bad Map sensor? Any help would be great. I have it spliced into MAP hose. Thanks Mike

Since your factory guage doesn't work and you're tapped into the MAP sensor line, it would have to be either a big leak in the line, unhooked, or the line is plugged.

Does it feel like it's making boost? These things are very, very slow if it were truly getting 0 boost.

Not sure I hear the turbo spool(whine) so I guess I am making boost. There are hoses that are plugged(one has a golf tee in it) However I have no Idea where they go or what they do. I guess I have to replce one at a time and see what gives.

The MAP line should go to the back of the intake manifold. You can "T" the guage into the fuel pressure regulator line to see if it's making boost. There's nothing wrong with using this line but I don't do it because it adds a couple more potential failure points and you don't want a connection blowing off that line under boost. Plenty people do it with no problem.

Since you're going to check for any leaks and you haven't replace any of the vacumn lines, might as well replace all your vacumn lines, even though from a stand point of view, they may look ok, I would go and personally check everyone of them and be done with it, no worries in the end :)

The way I've found my vacuum leaks are by going to any auto parts store and buying a cheap can of carburetor cleaner. I then start the car and wait for it to warm up and then start spraying areas I think I may have a vacuum leak. The engine will surge when I hit the area that has a vacuum leak.