Boost control options/opinions

FTC

Sup guys, I've been wondering ever since I switched to an external gate. How should I go about controlling boost? Right now I am running a manual hallman controller to the bottom of the gate, top vented and it works just fine. I did just buy an ams500 off a member the other week, but the more I think about it the more I feel like I don't need it. There's no track here so the 2 stage wouldn't be used and I don't want to add co2. Then there's the xfi boost control which I'm getting more interested in, but I'm not very well versed in using the xfi and there's a couple different ways to set it up via xfi. Open loop...closed loop, is there an advantage in ove vs the other? This is just a street car/weekend cruiser. My target boost will be 27-28 psi, should I just stick with what I got cause it works, or look into electronic boost control with xfi or ams500? Thanks for any help offered.

You can use the fast and use open loop boost control, closed loop is very tricky design, which can get you into trouble in a hurry. Open loop is a set % on and off that you command vs tps, but I prefer the EGR table wired to the boost control instead, as its based on mph, and if you have boost creep you can pull some boost out of the top end with your foot to the floor...

I'm using the closed loop on the xfi using an internal wastegate and an aftermarket solenoid connected to the factory solenoid wires. Seems to be fine so far; I'm going to dyno it this weekend to actually measure and tune the PID parameters. I've also been thinking of using the EGR signal for boost control but for different reasons. Both ways are so far super easy to tune and it sounds like you already have that capability and won't have to spend any money. I did notice though, the factory solenoid didn't seem to move enough air to be accurate. It could have been user error but thats just my experience, no real analysis on it I was determined to put the high flow on it regardless.

So basically you have it connected as a bleeder valve like factory setup?

Correct. It's a three port solenoid with the NO ports to the WG and the compressor housing; the NC is open to atmosphere. I have my min MAP at 100 but I want to increase it as much as possible. That's part of what I'm going to test this weekend. The PID is all set to 70 which is probably all wrong to be honest but its close enough to work for now.

I'm using the closed loop on the xfi using an internal wastegate and an aftermarket solenoid connected to the factory solenoid wires. Seems to be fine so far; I'm going to dyno it this weekend to actually measure and tune the PID parameters. I've also been thinking of using the EGR signal for boost control but for different reasons. Both ways are so far super easy to tune and it sounds like you already have that capability and won't have to spend any money. I did notice though, the factory solenoid didn't seem to move enough air to be accurate. It could have been user error but thats just my experience, no real analysis on it I was determined to put the high flow on it regardless.

How did this turn out? I am debating on Internal or external with CO2..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app