Body shop cracked orig GM bumper fillers... advice?

rileydawgg

So I'm about to get my GN back from the body shop after getting the whole thing repainted, and they informed me that the rear bumper fillers have cracked in several places after they painted them. It's an excellent high end shop, they've worked on other cars of mine, and they did a great job with the rest of the car, but shouldn't they offer to pay for replacements part? I was even leaning towards getting the ABS ones instead so this doesn't happen again, which are A LOT less than the GM ones.

The only thing that's bothering me is that he did do the job for less than what he'd normally charge because I've given him a good amount of work in the past, and also sent a couple of my buddies his way with their cars. Anybody who's ever worked in a body shop have any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable? :confused:

Not worked in a body shop but my two cents...

If they were old before he painted the car perhaps he should have mentioned this could happen.

Is he responsible for the used parts cracking after new paint etc was applied. Probably not.

So I'm about to get my GN back from the body shop after getting the whole thing repainted, and they informed me that the rear bumper fillers have cracked in several places after they painted them. It's an excellent high end shop, they've worked on other cars of mine, and they did a great job with the rest of the car, but shouldn't they offer to pay for replacements part? I was even leaning towards getting the ABS ones instead so this doesn't happen again, which are A LOT less than the GM ones.

The only thing that's bothering me is that he did do the job for less than what he'd normally charge because I've given him a good amount of work in the past, and also sent a couple of my buddies his way with their cars. Anybody who's ever worked in a body shop have any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable? :confused:

I wouldn't hold them responsible for the rear fillers. Remember, they are 20+ years old. The extra weight from the new paint may have caused hair line cracks to increase. Also any sanding or prep work is going to cause any hair line cracks to crack more. It was one of those things that was going to happen. I had the same problem on the front fillers on my car.

To be honest with you, pay the extra $$$ for stock fillers. There is WAY less prep work...sometimes they don't fit correctly, stockers will. Also, if the rear fillers took about 20 years to crack, then the new ones will take just about as long to rot or crack.

Hope this helps...Good luck

I just installed a set of the OE front fillers on my GN. My originals were fragging all over the place.

Got them for $160.
Paid $120 for paint.

They look and fit perfect.

I just talked to him again. Before I told him the $500 difference in price between the GM and ABS, he recommended getting the ABS ones since they are more durable cuz the car is basically my daily driver for the most part. He will prefit and paint and install them for no charge when they arrive, so I think I'm just gonna do that. I think if the stockers were a little closer in price, not $700, maybe it'd be different.

If they are 20+ year old fillers then they were bound to crack. He should not be responsible in anyway if they cracked unless they were a new pair that you handed him that were never in the elements.

Have the fronts been replaced yet? If not, I would consider ordering all GM original replacements & have him do them all at the same time. If the fronts have never been replaced, there is a good chance that they will do the same.