Body bushings question

BKLYN2FLORIDA

I am looking to change out all my body bushings that are in not so great shape, and even thinking about doing all the bushings on the car.
People have said that ALWAYS use OEM Bushing since Polyeurothanes makes the car squeak and creak along with a harder ride.
Just wondering if this is true or just a myth. Has anyone used Polys before and are COMPLETELY happy with them.
Its a pain in the butt to get a decent deal on OEM bushings, if anyone knows of somewhere that sells them at decent price, please let me know.
thanks

I put energy suspension in my 2 years ago. I don't drive it a ton, but I don't have any problems with it. I have no squeaks and I didn't think it changed the ride much. But my last car was a tube chassis car, so this thing rides like a Caddy compared to that. :)

I put energy suspension in my 2 years ago. I don't drive it a ton, but I don't have any problems with it. I have no squeaks and I didn't think it changed the ride much. But my last car was a tube chassis car, so this thing rides like a Caddy compared to that. :)

2x. I like how my ES bushings tightened the car up. I don't think they are too harsh and they don't squeak.

I did it too, but ...

although they didn't squeak, they do transmit vibration/harshness into the car. So if you have loose windows/dash/glovebox etc, they'll all make noise if your roads are not smooth. Out here in NorCal, our roads are crap, so I get more NVH. I did buy some silicone paste at the auto store when I did the install, and that helps keep the bushings from squeaking. I bought new hardware too, so it may help if I retighten everything again. I swapped over to poly's to fix a sagging front end/tire rub issue I had with the car, and my car is stiffly sprung as well, so my NVH may be worse than guys that have a stock suspension still. I had bought some new bushings from Kirbans a year or so before I did this install, and I kept all my old bushings and bolts, so if you want to pay the shipping, I can send you the batch, and if you use some/all of them, you can just pay me whatever they were worth to you. PM me your email address, and I can send pix if you desire. Good luck.
John A, Turbohh

There are quite a few things that are recommended to be done before just changing bushings. The body has to be lifted a few inches to get them swapped. Especially the #3. So there are a few things to watch out for. Many threads on here about the process. Examples are power steering lines, brake lines, A/c lines, intercooler hoses, downpipe clearance, bumper removal....etc. Also note, with polys, the body on mine is about 1/2" higher off the frame due to the new unforgiving poly vs. the old sponge like rubber. I think some of the reason it creates a stiffer ride is the poly doesn't "give" as much as the old rubber ones that were removed, and I would compare those to marshmallow like consistency:eek:, and only a few of them were installed with bottom bushings under the frame.

I am looking to change out all my body bushings that are in not so great shape, and even thinking about doing all the bushings on the car.
People have said that ALWAYS use OEM Bushing since Polyeurothanes makes the car squeak and creak along with a harder ride.
Just wondering if this is true or just a myth. Has anyone used Polys before and are COMPLETELY happy with them.
Its a pain in the butt to get a decent deal on OEM bushings, if anyone knows of somewhere that sells them at decent price, please let me know.
thanks

Only the "A-Arm" urathane bushings will "squeek", Becuase there movment,Body bushings don't move. I did hear that installing Urathane frame bushings will raise your body of the frame an extra 1 inch though, be ready for that

Enjoy!

I prefer the cheaper Prothane bushings from Summit. They arent too harsh but are much firmer than stock bushings. Good price too!!!

Sent you pix...

and a rough shipping quote to Ft Lauderdale. Let me know if you don't get the pix, and what you decide.
John A, Turbohh

One more tidbit- if you want the car to ride nice and mushy like when it was new, just replace the bushings that you already have. Don't add any to the spots that were left off by GM. Also, if you try to remove a bolt and it just spins, that means the cage nut was rusted. If it is towards the rear, you will have to cut a hole in the trunk to access it.

I also installed the Energy suspension poly bushing kit w/ the missing GNX bushings.

If you are going to go through the work involved why not replace them w/ somthing that will never de-grade?

I noticed a slightly harsher ride, but it is a small trade off for all the other benefits. I really like how "solid" the car feels. NO squeeks or rattles, I actually think this helped my car (eliminating all that extra movement between the body and chassis)

good luck w/ whatever route you choose to go, I only had one bolt that spun on me, LR in trunk, easy to get at..

Remember to inspect that body mount behind the RF tire, my car is rust free, and that hole is the only spot that has started to deteriorate. I added a large washer in there to help, and undercoated the metal.