Body Bushings for GN?

JToups386

It's time to replace my rotted and missing body bushings on my GN.
Anyone have input on the best set? I can get a full set of Energy Suspension, which I have used for my control arms, but, they squeak loudly. I don't know if their body bushings are prone to do that as well?

Suggestions?
Where to buy?

Thanks in advance,
JT

JT,

I'm in the same boat you are. My '86 GN chassis is definitely showing it's age by now. I'm going with some poly body bushings myself.

I've used them on a '88 Chevy Truck that I built and I can tell you from personal experience they ride awesome and don't squeak. They have been on there for about 3 years now.

I would suggest purchasing the bushings from any *BUICK* vendor. I really believe in supporting those who support us TR owners.

David Sierra
1986 GN - 11.60@118 - Stay tuned for the rebirth...

goto gnttype.org and look for the parts ordering list for the GM bushings in the tech area body section

just did mine and got them thru gmpartsdirect.com total cost w/ship for all but #1 upper(not available) and including the 4 missing lowers for #3+#4 and the 2 GNx bushings at #5 position was 200.11 ,
(you could try ordering through your local dealer but will mostlikely pay more unless you know someone who can get them at dealer cost and save about 40.00

you really dont need the #1 uppers or lowers since they dont wear much so you could save another 15.00 by leaving those bushings off your order .

or go to kirban(kirbanperformance.com) and order
kit # 6965 249.00 + shipping which includes all 24 bushings and the gnx bushings
or kit # 6964 239.00+ship without the gnx bushings

I used the Energy Suspension poly body bushings and don't have a squeek one, made a big difference on handling and feel. Replaced everyone one of them and the kit even included the missing GNX bushings. Got from Jeg for about $110. No reason to go spending another $150 to get the soft ones.

Poly bushings will really tighten up the car, but you feel alot more vibrations and the car is not as nice to drive IMO.

My wife's car just has the stock body bushings and all of the missing ones have been replaced w/stock rubber ones and hers feels nicer (as in less vibration etc) to drive than mine with the poly's.

Thanks everyone for you input!

Since I don't drive the car daily, and it sits alot, I'll go w/ the Energy Suspension poly urethanes like I already have in the front and rear control arms.

I just wanted to make sure the car was not going to squeak even worse, and by what I'm hearing from each of you, it won't.

I'll post my ride results ,(whether positive or negative), whenever I find time to install them.

Thanks again.
JT

Yeah, I've heard that poly front bushings sqeek, and I know that the rear poly bushings sqeek also, been there done that.
There should not be any movement there, its all up and down for the most part, hence the "stiffer" feel, which I like, cause I like to feel the road anyway, I'll put them in my daily driver truck when they need replacing...also helps stiffen it up for drag racing. I was very happy with them, and now with the del-alum fronts and HR-parts rear bushings on all control arms, it rides as well as my Trans Am...that's is if you like the feel of the TAs :)

i have a energy kit sitting here, if it squeaks, i wont hear it anyway....3"atr single put a stop to hearing most everything