Blue windshield washer fluid

JACKH

Can you use the blue windsheild washer fluid for alcohol injection? It seems to be a mixture of 60% water and 40% methanol, is easy to find, and is cheap.

Jack
Jack@huisman.com

I am guessing the only bad thing in the mix is the blue dye.

Not sure of it's effects long long term... ???

I hope the blue dye isn't bad! I use food coloring to tint my alky the same color as WW fluid since my kit is hidden and I use the WW tank as my reservoir!

(not sure on the "real" question asked here, though. Sorry!)

Does denatured alcohol freeze?

What about that Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid. It seems to work well for me with a Shurflo pump. I believe it has water, methanol, and ethyl glychol in it for freeze resistance. Won't freeze up and has no blue dye. Anyone else ever tried this.
I've used it for a year with no downsides.

I used some of that. When I happened to have occasion to remove the water misting nozzle I found that the little filter screen was clogged with blue debris. I'd never use it again.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Hmmmmm, maybe I should use green food dye as I am using the coolant overflow tank! ;)

I like that idea :D I have mine hung off the fan shroud, I bet if I cover the stell braided lines with rubber or plastic tubing and dye the fluid green no one asks any questions :D

Can you use the blue windsheild washer fluid for alcohol injection? It seems to be a mixture of 60% water and 40% methanol, is easy to find, and is cheap.

Yea, but I dont think it is 40%. To get to -20 degrees F like most of them say, only requires like 20% to 30% at the most. Thats why I ultimately stopped using it...Because I had no way of finding out the mixture strength. At least none of the bottles I used to find listed it. I now use Sunoco Methanol, bought in 5 gal plastic tanks, and just mix my own strength.