Blue smoke

Dukesie79

I've developed a smoking issue that I'm having trouble figuring out. At idle I'm puffing smoke and revving in park blows out more. I'm sure it's oil smoke but I can't determine the source. At first I thought maybe something went south with the engine but I have solid 180s compression on all cylinders. The rear passenger spark plug has some significant carbon buildup on it.

I also thinking it could be something with the pcv system. The car had an RJC heavy duty pcv inline with the stocker but it caused major lean idle conditions so I removed it. I tried putting it back in today but it still smokes. I think I'm seeing oil puddling in the intake and the pcv port on the vacuum block has had oil in it.

Revving in park sometimes causes puffs of smoke to come out of the valve cover breathers as well.

What have I got going on here? Why would I suddenly be drawing excess oil through the pcv? Could it be something else? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Does your passenger side valve cover have the tube that goes to the turbo? Have you checked your intercooler plumbing for oil residue?

Both valve covers just have breathers, no tubes. The up pipe and throttle body are clean but I haven't checked the intercooler. The inside of the doghouse looks pretty dirty with oil but it's hard to tell for sure.

So after some research I am 99% sure I have found the problem. The valve seal on #2 intake valve has popped off and is just riding on the valve stem. I am ordering Viton seals and the spring removal tool from Cotton. I'll get these seals swapped out in the next couple of weeks and update on the smoke.

Any tips for doing the seals with the heads still on and the engine in the car? Thanks on advance.

There's a pretty good write up somewhere on here. I believe it's in the "How To's" as a sticky. You might as well put in new valve springs while you have everything apart.

Thanks I found the how to. The engine is a fresh rebuild with new beehive valve springs so I should be good there.