blown front pump

87 we4 gray t

well replaced the converter and flex plate. went to drive car, no movement at all in any gear. verdict is a blown front pump. never replaced a front pump before, are there any specials tools needed? how deep into the trans do i need to go? how difficult of a job is this?

if that's what the problem is .you'll need a special tool to pull the pump and a new pump gasket . also you have to drop the pan and remove the lock up solenoid valve out of the way(2 bolts) and remove filter.there is also a grey plastic thrust washer behind the pump. pay attention to how it is postioned before you put it back in . you can use vaseline to hold it in place when you bolt the pump back up .also good idea to replace the pump bolt gasket washers while your at it . maybe you can throw the trans in the trunk and run it down to a local trans shop and see if they would let you use the tool . if you do not feel comfortable doing it. I would get a good shop to do it .Good luck :).

out of 10 being the highest. I would rate it a 6 on the difficult side .but if your a trans guy it would be alot easier :) .

pump

Pump can be removed with a large flat screwdriver,CAREFULLY, get behind the pump and pry it out. If it has not been apart for a long period of time this may not work. Be carefull where you insert the screwdriver.

Re: pump

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Pump can be removed with a large flat screwdriver,CAREFULLY, get behind the pump and pry it out. If it has not been apart for a long period of time this may not work. Be carefull where you insert the screwdriver.

yep, that will work I did it that way before :) . best to use something that is very hard plastic or maybe even brass . like Lee said be carefull . very easy to damage the machined surace face of the pump or trans .

kwikr...have any other ideas on what the problem may be? couple people think its the pump. it makes a clicking type noise and goes no where. car shifted great every thing was good till the center of the flexplate ripped out.

Originally posted by 87 we4 gray t
kwikr...have any other ideas on what the problem may be? couple people think its the pump. it makes a clicking type noise and goes no where. car shifted great every thing was good till the center of the flexplate ripped out.

wish I could help you . but I suggest you get ahold of one or all of the trans guys on this board . or a rep shop in your area and get the proper info needed ( are you not in CA and maybe close to PTS or DRW?) . If not I can put you in touch with someone who actualy works for GM as a trans tech . who builds and tests new trans designs for GM Canada .he also builds performance transmissions part-time as a hobby so to speak . and his knowledge of transmissions is excellent and is always willing to help out . sounds like a real problem to cause the "center of the flexplate to be ripped out" . did you have the converter set into the trans correctly w/the proper "stab depth". also the proper flexplate installed the right way (best decribed as : ring gear over hang towards front of engine ) ?? :)

just courious , why did you have to replace the flexplate and TC ?

it was working great, everything. the starter started to go, then like two or three days later the flexplate started clickn like it was cracked. now this was the day after i got a smog pre test and so i wanted to get the smog handled before i pulled it apart. so i decided to drive to the smog shop anyway with the clicking hoping it would be ok till i got the smog done. on the way to the shop the clickn got worse, not terrible. then i had a couple of converter flares about half way to the shop. but if i was light, really light on it , it was ok. then as i was bout 100 ft from the smog shop i lost all movement. towed car back and pulled converter cover. converter and flexplate were cock-eyed in there, yanked out the trans. the flexplate came out with the converter and the center was still bolted to the crank.

replaced the flexplate, put a new 3000 stall converter in<wanted a new converter anyway>, and now nothing but a wierd noise. everyone says its the pump.

Converter drive FUBAR'D

Sounds to me like you did not get the converter in all the way when you had it out, or you pulled it too far toward the flywheel when you bolted it up. [This is the more likely scenario, as if it was not in far enuf to begin with, and you pulled the trans up to the engine, the pump would have broken then.] This then caused the tangs on the pump to break off.. Likely the "cliking" was the tangs slipping past the slots in the converter nose. After a bit, the pump broke up and then no drive...:eek:
2 tests:
1. Check the trans level w/ the engine off, and note the level on the stick.
Start the engine and recheck.. if it went down, then the pump is working.. no level drop.. no pump....:(
2.If the trans is out, look into the area around the stator support in the ft of the trans.. see the pieces?? That's the ft pump.

Did the converter guide fit into the crank ok??