Blower Motor

njbadboy

87 Sick Ass GN
I took my car out today and the fan blower works in all positions but high? It blows on low , medium, medium high, but not high? any one know if there is a high speed fan relay?

resistor controls the 3 slowers speeds,sounds like it working.the high speed relay is outside mounted on blower box between dryer and blower motor.

Thanks Gary. How would I test that relay? Is it cheap enough to just replace & who do you get it from.

unplug it and make sure terminals are clean(mine just needed cleaning).if so,most autoparts stores have them,cheap item.

It is most likely not the relay. If you look over by the antenna there will be a connector burried in there in the fender well. The connections get nasty and cause a melt down. I had to replace the connector but you can soldier the wires if you like. This is the hot leg which is only used on high blow

Thanks Gary & Sal. I will look at it after work. What does this relay look like IE Color,Shape, how many wires, ect. I recall there are a few relays mounted to the fender by the antena. Which one is for the high speed fan? I think I remember 3 seperate relays on the fender.

Attachments

• 15-8166.gif
    15-8166.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 193
the high speed relay is not on the fender,its on the a/c box between blower motor and dryer/accumilator.sal made a good point,check power plug.its located between blower motor and fender near hood hinge.has four wires,check red one closely.

Thanks Guys. I cant check it tonight but I will check it out this weekend. I bought the high speed relay for 9 bucks just incase this is bad. If not I will have a spare. The fuse blew for the lighter & I replaced it I was wondering if this fan issue is just a coincidence or if they are related. The lighter in the car is bad and I pushed it bye accident and the fuse blew and the fuse affected the power antena and the radio memory. I wonder if it has any effect on the fan.

they are different circuts.when that fuse blows, you lose alot of things;cig lighter,horn,dome light,radio memory,hood and trunk lights,door locks,etc.

also another common problem with the fan high speed is the connection behind the radio,hope that not the prob its a PITA to get to.good luck,let us know what the prob was.

Well Sal Was Right. I looked by the radio antenna and in the inside fender under the hood by the blower motor there is a connector that after I unplugged it there was some corrosion starting and it was pretty dirty. I used electronic contact cleaner & lube that I bought at Radio Shack. Cleaned it all up and plugged it back in. All fixed :) . I want to thank you Sal for helping with this. That is what this website is about fellow turbo Buick guys lending there knowledge to help each other keep these awesome cars running. Thanks again all of your replies were helpful.