blowby on new motor?

karolko

I took the car out today to finally tune the thing on the road. running 15psi. Motor was properly broken in on the dyno, so i am next to 100% certain it is not the rings.

My passenger side valve cover breather was soo saturated with oil that it started to spit onto the firewall and hood. the drivers side was also pretty moist too.

I am assuming that this is all blowby that oil vapor that turns to liquid in the filter element during boost, but this much? WTF?

I am not running a crankcase evac kit just yet, but will be soon enough.

Factory PCV valve as well.

What could be causing this much blowby, and how do i fix it?

Thanks guys,

Adrian

pcv valve.

Assuming then that your rings are doing their job, look at the pcv system. You should be able to pull out the valve from the intake but leave the hose connected to the pcv valve so the engine runs correctly. Next, plug the hole left in the intake manifold to simulate as if the pcv valve were still in there. Fire it up, drive it, and see if your oil leak/blowby problem gets worse or better. The other thing to look for is boost leak from the pcv valve while its just hanging from that hose that it is still connected to. You may actually have to listen for it more than see it. Maybe this step will help you eliminate one area.

alright, could you please elaborate on how i would do that. I woudl have to have a load on the engine before it would make boost, so how would i feel or listen for boost coming out of the pcv?

Would the RJC Racing check valve fix my issue if it is infact a pcv issue?

Adrian

alright, could you please elaborate on how i would do that. I woudl have to have a load on the engine before it would make boost, so how would i feel or listen for boost coming out of the pcv?

Would the RJC Racing check valve fix my issue if it is infact a pcv issue?

Adrian

Check to see if the PCV is leaking. Is your PCV sucking oil?

when i was starting the motor without the intercooler hose i noticed that i did have a little bit of oil build up along the bottom of the throttle blade, but i thought it was from something else.

would that be the pvc sucking oil?

pvc problem

The pvc valve is a cheap part. Replace it and see what happens. I am under the assumption that you have boost leaking into the block via the pvc system. That check valve from RJC will definetly stop pressure from getting into the block but you are still going to get the oil into the intake so you will still end up replacing the valve anyway. "Hanging parts" like a pcv valve maybe the quickest, cheapest, and safe way of diagnosing this problem you are having. Otherwise, Do as I suggested previously, powerbrake the engine with the hood open, and have a brave and trusting friend stand near the engine bay to try and catch your boost leak.

So with the RJC check valve will not replace the regular pcv, but it should be used inline of the factory PCV?

I suggest a Delco PCV Also if you want add a 2nd one in line or just a good check valve rated for the oil, gas & pressures etc. I got 3 off e-bay for about $10 each & run one with my Delco PCV Not that I needed it but I figured it wouldnt hurt to add it. been a year & nothing bad has come from it. Again, mine ran fine before with a fresh Delco PCV so I dont know 100% that it helps either?

Just plug the dang thing and be DONE with it. I can't even spell PCV valve. I don't run one. Let the breathers do the work.:) Then if it keeps blowin' by, then the rings or gaskets are not doing their job.

If the car is driven on the street dont plug the PCV, oil contamination fast!

I guess the Buick engineers were wrong

Just plug the dang thing and be DONE with it. I can't even spell PCV valve. I don't run one. Let the breathers do the work.:) Then if it keeps blowin' by, then the rings or gaskets are not doing their job.

Put Kirbans or RJC (no experience with RJC but assume they work the same) positive stop valve in line along with a good PVC valve. If you still have oil coming out of breathers--you have other problems. Best of luck.

The Buick engineers were given a task to build the motor to put out 235 HP.

I trust the advice of my engine builder, Bobby @ RPE. He welded the hole in my intake for the PCV.

Bryan