Blow thru cam selection

fuzzyGN

I was wondering what size cam people would suggest for a blow thru engine. It will probably be a 4.1L with a little more compression than stock. It would be a fast street car but mostly track car so it doesn't need to be too tame :biggrin: Ported heads and all the good stuff too. So how big is too big? I do have a 224-224 solid roller with all the trimming. Is it overkill or just about right? I am thinking it could be exciting. I know Warwagon has built one recently but from what I can tell he is using a stock intercooled cam. Anyone have experience with more cam with a similar set-up?

LOL Matt's had a bad time with the flat tappet design but I never have. I think the solid roller would be over kill to say the least Eric. If you step down to a 210-215 or maybe a 204-214 I think you'll be very happy with it. Wait until Adam (Warwagon) sees this. I'm sure he'll give you some info on what would work better.

Not body work from what I've seen Matt. LOL
I’m good at body work but I had to start with some real junk. I had rust everywhere and I don’t think that there was a panel without a dent. So, I even have bad luck picking cars wow I’m really unlucky. I guess I need a horseshoe.

Yep Your right I'm still using the stock intercooled cam because I have stock untouched heads. Earlier in '09 I had been asking about another flat tappet cam that I could use with the stock heads, but the result was nothing really so I kept it. But that will change when I send my set of 8445's to Charlie soon.
Use what you have it will work. I'm experimenting with the fact that a cam that focuses on strong mid to middle upper torque range,
I'm looking at cams like this when I have the ported heads:
grind SP-112, flat tappet, 112 lobe center, IN270-EX280 dur, IN.478-EX.494 lift
gring SP-108. flat tappet, 108 lobe center, IN282-EX292 dur, IN.494-EX.506 lift

Either one of those should work well Adam. The big thing si that the cam is only part of the equasion. It really does boil down to combo and set up.

Thanks for the input thus far. I am in the "move all things that don't have a current need" mode. I originally got the 224 solid for the N/A engine but it was too small. I ended up with a 260 @ .050 instead. That should rump huh? It will be about 13:1 and ported M&A heads with Ti valves ... silly really. I was thinking for a later project to boost a 4.1L with about 9:1 and ported irons. Since I already had the 224 I thought it might be a good canidate. Since it will be mostly a race car (but hopefully somewhat streetable) with a big carb I am not too worried about street manners. I have never seen a Buick slow down with too big of a cam (within reason obviously) so I thought this might work well. For what it is wort, I have ridden in an intercooled stage car with the same cam and it was silly fast. That was with the SFI and computer too. I know it isn't the same thing because of the heads and flow but still. With the Buick my experience so far has been pick a cam that sounds just a little too big and it should work really well.

Anyway, it I am talked out of using it I need to sell it. AJ, no fair playing dirty so you can get your hands on it :D

Thanks for the input thus far. I am in the "move all things that don't have a current need" mode. I originally got the 224 solid for the N/A engine but it was too small. I ended up with a 260 @ .050 instead. That should rump huh? It will be about 13:1 and ported M&A heads with Ti valves ... silly really. I was thinking for a later project to boost a 4.1L with about 9:1 and ported irons. Since I already had the 224 I thought it might be a good canidate. Since it will be mostly a race car (but hopefully somewhat streetable) with a big carb I am not too worried about street manners. I have never seen a Buick slow down with too big of a cam (within reason obviously) so I thought this might work well. For what it is wort, I have ridden in an intercooled stage car with the same cam and it was silly fast. That was with the SFI and computer too. I know it isn't the same thing because of the heads and flow but still. With the Buick my experience so far has been pick a cam that sounds just a little too big and it should work really well.

Anyway, it I am talked out of using it I need to sell it. AJ, no fair playing dirty so you can get your hands on it :D

lmao.... hey will you be around this weekend, i need to drop off that cash for that suburban before i get deployed again

A.j.

Yep, actually that was on the chopping block too. Stop by and we can talk about what you want to do with it. Should be around all day tomorrow working on something.

Yep, actually that was on the chopping block too. Stop by and we can talk about what you want to do with it. Should be around all day tomorrow working on something.

very very awesome. sounds like a plan. I will bring some pics of that completed spindle swap.

you were a genius on the lower ball joint idea from the H-body. worked out like hot damn on the LUV.

A.j.

I hope you took pics of it Aj. One of these days we'll get you to start a thread about the little terror you're building.