Blow Off Valve

Gn Guy

Hi Guys
Just wondering if the hot air cars require blow off valves. If so, where would you mount it? Any pics or reference would help. Thanks

Ahhh........... we dont talk about BOV's here :eek:, Its a very sore subject. But I dont even know where you could mount one on a hotair, plus I dont think it would help because the TB is in front of the turbo so when you close the TB the compressor never see's the surge that a Intercooled engine would see.

Ahhh........... we dont talk about BOV's here :eek:, Its a very sore subject. But I dont even know where you could mount one on a hotair, plus I dont think it would help because the TB is in front of the turbo so when you close the TB the compressor never see's the surge that a Intercooled engine would see.

Yep, never had the horse sneeze with a hot air.

The 86/87 experience this when letting off suddenly during high boost conditions because the throttle body is downstream of the compressor. However, like DailyDrifter said, the throttle body on a hot air is before the compressor, not after, so you're not creating a condition for surge to occur. Also, you'll see BOV's used on DSM's and ricers with manual gearboxes to maintain boost between shifts. No manual trans, one more reason why you won't need one. You'll have more money to spend on alky, or bigger DP, or just about anything else. :cool:

ppl used to say the same thing about the cobalt ss supercharged cars... we usually just laugh at them... but since this is a turbo car I can see the confusion. But no, really no point in putting one on and i'm sure it would be a pita to do properly.

could put a intercooler kit on it and remove the TB off the turbo and put it in the charged pipe and could have a bov then. thats what im doing lol:eek: i wanna put a turkey call on the end of it :D

Hi Guys
I appreciate all the replies. If anything , I have attained some knowledge on the subject. I also have had a few chuckles from the comments.:)