Blow-off valve options?

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
I'm hearing & feeling (yeah, the whole car shudders) a good bit of blowback on my turbo and am looking into the feasability of installing a blow-off valve.

Cutting and welding a flange onto my throttle body pipe isn't a problem... finding a reasonably priced or junkyard donor piece is.

What do y'all think? What's available in the aftermarket, who has firsthand experience with any of these pieces, and are there any available from a production vehicle that I can retrofit?

Thanks,
-Banning.

I'm interested in BOV's also. I know that the more boost you're running the more $ you're going to have to spend on the BOV. I'm running 24#, and I've heard that the Greddy Type R BOV is about my only choice. Problem is they go for over $150, even on ebay.

True, the ATR is made for the higher boost, but I think they are even more expensive, and right now I don't have $.
Just like J Banning stated, We need to find something that was a factory item, that can be swapped to the Buick, that way it is a little more "Cost effective"

Originally posted by roc87
True, the ATR is made for the higher boost, but I think they are even more expensive, and right now I don't have $.
Just like J Banning stated, We need to find something that was a factory item, that can be swapped to the Buick, that way it is a little more "Cost effective"

I have an ATR with the flange welded to a stock up-pipe that I'll let go cheap. I ditched it when my car wasn't running right. It was only on the car for a week or so. It worked fine, I was just paranoid about it letting air in when it wasn't supposed to.

It was $150 new, I think, plus the flange ($25?) plus the welding ($50) and the up-pipe. Make me an offer if you're interested.

It's here:
http://www.jimmyz.net/gn_bov.jpg

Jim
jimmy@jimmyz.net

Banning,

I did some research on this a while back using the supra forums and DSM boards.

I found that: few stock/junkyard units will hold big boost, including the DSM stockers.

Most folks recommended only the HKS SSQV or the TiAL unit. As always, you never know who the responders are, but some of them wrote pretty articulate replies about why they were better, would hold boost w/o leaking, etc... They tended to be pretty serious racers from their sigs as well.

Unfortunately both were expensive enough to make me wait. I'm taking a break from packing-- will be in the city on Sunday... perhaps we can chat then.

Scott

I'm using the HKS SSQV about $220 with flange...I've heard of people going into the 30+ psi with no leak...I havent taken it to the track yet to test it at high psi...It sounds great though :)

The HKS SSQV will never leak because of the style valve. Push/Pull not Push. You cannot go wrong with the HKS but it does command a high price.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've got some reading to do with the info that's posted on the dodgegarage.com and relentlessracing.com sites.

turbojimmy: Thanks for the offer, but I've got all my inlet pipes welded together into one piece.

GN SBS: When you get home and have some time we'll definately have to talk. I'll bring the brew dogs!

-Banning.

How 'bout something not as flashy, like a Bosch BOV? I am looking to find a BOV as well, for when I get a new turbo.

I like the idea of making one but, i have 3" chrome up pipe on my car how would i go about attaching this to it and still have look good.

nitrousmike175: Maybe somewhere on the intercooler? ATR has a built in flange on their frontmounts. I don't see why you couldn't have on set up on a stock location.

-Banning.

Originally posted by J Banning
nitrousmike175: Maybe somewhere on the intercooler? ATR has a built in flange on their frontmounts. I don't see why you couldn't have on set up on a stock location.

-Banning.
The problem with that is... compare the price of an up-pipe vs. the price of an i/c. Even a chrome up-pipe comes nowhere near the price of an intercooler, for cases where the i/c and all piping is all one piece like the stocker. But I would assume a front mount would have separate pipes.

I made a mistake on my post the up pipe is polished alumn. The i/c is a precision unit. I don't know much about i/c's but i do know it is big. It is two pieces. How would you connect a BOV to it.

No no boys u have it all wrong.....Turbo X's RFL *Really Fu#$IN Loud* its awesome...I have one on my car...If anyone wants ill do a sound byte for you....
Sleeper87

Originally posted by J Banning
I'm hearing & feeling (yeah, the whole car shudders) a good bit of blowback on my turbo and am looking into the feasability of installing a blow-off valve.

Thanks,
-Banning.

these i/c's hold alot of air dont they...:D

im also in the market for a b/o valve myself just checking in ;)

i will need one to seal up to 30#

Re: Re: Blow-off valve options?

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR

these i/c's hold alot of air dont they...:D

im also in the market for a b/o valve myself just checking in ;)

i will need one to seal up to 30#

ME TOOOOOOOOOO!:)

Im pretty sure the Turbo Xs will hold the 30lbs of boost....Who is runnin that kind of boost a 9 sec car? If not then look into a company called TIAL they make ones that hold sick boost......Compressure surging at 30psi must be uhmmm just straight DAMAGING to the turbo i can only imagine.... Just my .02
Sleeper87

Originally posted by Sleeper87
Who is runnin that kind of boost a 9 sec car?
Sleeper87

thats the plan ...new combo going together will be looking to hit the 9:90's before im done...:eek: