Blow off Valve, good or bad for GN?

Originally posted by azgn
check out the prices now, 13 years later..........

$500 and more will get you one that works with our cars

Um I got an HKS Super Sequential one for 200.00. THAT one works with our cars, 500 bucks? Is it gold plated??? And you may be right, about rebuilding a turbo is cheaper. BUt rebuild a turbo twice and you already spent the money for the valve, AND you didnt have to remove the turbo twice to fix it when you got the valve. AND if your turbo went bad three times due to surge, then the valve does save money and time. How bout get the valve, and avoid the time to remove the turbo and rebuild it. Hmmm. Like I said originally though, if its only for 1/4 miles, you wont need it. But street car will benefit greatly especially if you have an aftermarket turbo.

Just my 2¢, hell even I don't know everything.

Scott

BOVs can be a good thing...

I always avoid this subject because people get real polarized over it. I'm an old timer like TurboDave (only better looking) but I've had great results with BOVs like the one sold by ATR. The advantage of this unit is that you can "T" into the wastegate hose and run it to the BOV (to pressurize the diaphram from the other side - like supercharger surge protection) which makes setting the correct spring pressure a piece of cake and it works perfectly. Besides the ease of setup there are several advantages to running them, in my experience. Yea, BOVs may possibly save the turbo a little so you can get one more pass out of it but street driveability is the main advantage. The BOV dumps the extra pressure so when you open the TB again, close to the correct amount of air is present.

Ever line up with someone on the street and they start to go then let off and you do the same thing only to find they floor it trying to trick you and you have to immediately get into the peddle heavy too. THEN what happens all to often with our cars? Slight surge, stumble, hesitation - the car quickly recovers and you are off to the races. Ever have this happen at off speeds or between gears too, haha been there done that way to often. I don't have this problem any more. Track use is another story - you normally have the option of easing the TB shut so a BOV may not be much benefit if any depending on you racing style (or lack of it).

BOVs like any tool are good if set up right. My car has absolutely no stumble or hesitation at any speed no matter what I do and anyone trying to prey on the normal weaknesses of turbo cars will get a quick education........Got to run, best of luck to you guys.

Re: BOVs can be a good thing...

Originally posted by DarkForce
I always avoid this subject because people get real polarized over it. I'm an old timer like TurboDave (only better looking) but I've had great results with BOVs like the one sold by ATR. The advantage of this unit is that you can "T" into the wastegate hose and run it to the BOV (to pressurize the diaphram from the other side - like supercharger surge protection) which makes setting the correct spring pressure a piece of cake and it works perfectly. Besides the ease of setup there are several advantages to running them, in my experience. Yea, BOVs may possibly save the turbo a little so you can get one more pass out of it but street driveability is the main advantage. The BOV dumps the extra pressure so when you open the TB again, close to the correct amount of air is present.

Ever line up with someone on the street and they start to go then let off and you do the same thing only to find they floor it trying to trick you and you have to immediately get into the peddle heavy too. THEN what happens all to often with our cars? Slight surge, stumble, hesitation - the car quickly recovers and you are off to the races. Ever have this happen at off speeds or between gears too, haha been there done that way to often. I don't have this problem any more. Track use is another story - you normally have the option of easing the TB shut so a BOV may not be much benefit if any depending on you racing style (or lack of it).

BOVs like any tool are good if set up right. My car has absolutely no stumble or hesitation at any speed no matter what I do and anyone trying to prey on the normal weaknesses of turbo cars will get a quick education........Got to run, best of luck to you guys.

Well put!:D

Anyone tried that trick with me on the street I'd leave on them for sure.

With or without a blow off valve. :D

Re: BOVs can be a good thing...

Originally posted by DarkForce

I've been in the same situations but my car has never stumbled. A buddy of mine runs 8s with his stage motor and doesn't use a BOV. I know of a 1400hp stage II that doesn't use one.

Re: Re: BOVs can be a good thing...

Originally posted by forzfed
A buddy of mine runs 8s with his stage motor and doesn't use a BOV. I know of a 1400hp stage II that doesn't use one.

It's already been clarified that a BOV is not useful on a 1/4 mile car. We are talking street cars.

Scott

salvageV6, no one has beaten me with this trick either but it is still a pain to have to run them down rather than handing them their tail on the spot. One other thought where the BOV has been worth its weight in gold. Ever done a hard pull and had to hit the brakes real hard immediately afterwards and had the engine stumble or hesitate for a moment. This is not a welcome event and can be somewhat dangerous, especially if you are in the proximity of other cars – one of the incredibly stupid things I would never do again.

Forzfed, Your friend obviously does not run the street in his 1400 hp track car. Our cars can NOT dump the air quick enough to properly meter between quick boost and vacuum conditions. I really did not want to get into this but I also run a BOV (super sequential) on my 1100 hp S2 street engine and it provides the same benefits. Trust me, I may know a little bit about what I’m talking about. Knew this was going to go south real quick……

if you race an 1100 hp car on the street, you are seriously dangerous and immature......bov or not

I knew this would happen!!!!

Woody, did I say I raced the car on the street at it's full power levels. Try something novel like attempting to understand the subject matter and avoid your worthless criticisms about something you know nothing about. Go the ford page if you want to babble.

if you race AT ALL on the street, you are foolish and dangerous

I don't think a bov is necessary on an automatic trans race car, but I have never had an 1100 hp motor, so I yield to your expertise

I do not yield to street racing in any form!

Where I live there are many roads on the edge of town and in the fields that are better than any track you’ve driven on. We never race near traffic and control the environment very closely in a safe and responsible manner. Most of us are over 40 and if you do or attempt to do something stupid, you’ll find yourself going to your room.

I think you may have called about 95% of the people on this board foolish and dangerous for street racing. Street racing is OK if done responsibility. This thread was supposed to be about BOVs but it’s deteriorated into a bunch of BS. I don’t care to waste any more time on this thread unless someone wants to talk tech issues. Have a good night, I'll pick this thread up tomorrow.

how can I respond to that?

of course it is ok to race "responsibly" on the street......

tell that to the cops (or the victims)

as for tech......if your 1100 hp motor needs the bov, who am I to argue?

(just because you and your intelligent racer friends are over 40 doesn't make you smart...I have quite a few more years on that, and I learn something every day.....)

In my experience, a BOV helps drivability. It cured the stumble when letting off the gas fast. Yes, it vents metered air to the atmosphere. But that air was metered when the car was under WOT and is no longer needed. What you avoid is the air stalling or possibly reversing through the MAF. That causes the stumble which the valve cures.

I'm not sure how needed it is on a stock intercooler/turbo car or race car. But when I added my Powerstroke IC with about 16' of 3" piping and TA64, mine snorted more when I let off the throttle at a couple psi than a stock 87 does at WOT. I feel it's necessary with my setup. I drive the car pretty hard and will usually take it up on a couple psi a few times a day. I got sick of hearing the flutter. I do occasionally street race and sometimes have to snap the throttle shut instead of letting off gradually. It's worth it for the peace of mind and improved drivability IMO.

Everyone knows how cheap car makers are. Why would they include BOVs on nearly every import car if they didn't do anything?

So I think that the conclusion is that if you want a BOV, get one. If you do not want one, then do not get one. Easy as that!

Where's my budget roller when I need it;)?

Originally posted by Taffy
So I think that the conclusion is that if you want a BOV, get one. If you do not want one, then do not get one. Easy as that!

Where's my budget roller when I need it;)?

Taffy, I knew sooner or later you would chime in here. :D

I think it is funny that the guys who bash the BOV because "you do not need it on the TR" are running stuff that they do not need. I am not going to point fingers though.

Actually what's funny is how many people have asked someone at Garrett or Turbonetics whether they recommend one or not.

I already asked the Innovative folks, NOT needed. ;)

No bashing at all in saying you don't need one.

blow off valves

anyone who questions the existance pf the blow off valve is simply uneducated. to add.. the buick gn, (which has a turbo tranny) is not a candidate for a blow off valve. just because you are one of the (very few) cars that gains nothing from a blow of valve doesnt give you sone superiority. learn to drive a manual, or even try to drive a regular autonatic,.. then talk ****,.. cause obviously, you dont know much otherwise.
i do want you to learn, but please dont talk ignorant **** out of your ignorant ass.

Re: blow off valves

Originally posted by big black..dong
anyone who questions the existance pf the blow off valve is simply uneducated. to add.. the buick gn, (which has a turbo tranny) is not a candidate for a blow off valve. just because you are one of the (very few) cars that gains nothing from a blow of valve doesnt give you sone superiority. learn to drive a manual, or even try to drive a regular autonatic,.. then talk ****,.. cause obviously, you dont know much otherwise.
i do want you to learn, but please dont talk ignorant **** out of your ignorant ass.

WOW that made no sense what so ever! thanks for adding to this discussion!:rolleyes:

Re: Re: blow off valves

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
WOW that made no sense what so ever! thanks for adding to this discussion!:rolleyes:

I agree, that had to be one of the most "uneducated" statements I have ever saw. And he has a Stage II. Doesn't deserve it though with that attitude. What a punk. Also would like to mention his BIG Black 2 posts. Must be a pro.

Scott