Blow off Valve, good or bad for GN?

Gnx6

On my GN I hear a loud chirp,chirp,chirp when I take my foot off the gas. This is the sound of the turbo stalling out from the airflow path being blocked causing it to run back to the compressor wheel. I know that over a period of time this is hard on the turbo, especially if you run high boost. Is a blow off valve a good idea or a bad one? Is there any problems with the mass air system with this? I was going to use a dump on the charge pipe going from the intercooler to the throttle body. Let me know what you guys think

I am pro them, for the wear protection and the sounds is also cool. Alot of guys say screw em it is BS I have 300 10-9 sec passes and my car does not have and has been that way for years...spend your money else where.

Blowoff valve is to relieve compressor surge without reducing compressor speed. It controls boost pressure that is built up by the turbo and vents it into the atmosphere when the car is not under load (in between shifts/full throttle lifts). This prevents pressure from backing up into the compressor housing, causing the turbo impeller blade to rapidly stop or even worse, to spin backwards (compressor surge or backspin). Doing so can be potentially destructive to the turbine wheel, bearings and shaft. Repeated stress over time can cause eminent damage to the turbo charger and eventually lead to turbo failure. The blowoff valve not only improves performance and response, but also increases the life of the turbocharger.

Well..................
Anything that one does should be researched and studied up on. Turbochargers are not the exception. High end/performance systems have them, any studying/researching done will prove
that.

I say yes if you can't already tell :D :cool:.

Do a search and you will see this debate. It is one of those that'll never die.

Personally, I do not think they are necessary for performance because we have automatic transmissions. In theory, a BOV would help with turbo wear. But my turbo has 107K on it and no problems and the same for many more on this board.

I'd say if you have a lot of money to spend, go ahead and get one. Otherwise, there are better mods for your money.

Just to clarify -- in an automatic, the throttle never closes on a WOT acceleration whereas in a manual you have to close the throttle blade between gears. So if you are running a quarter mile, a BOV will have no effect on performance.

I sometimes have the habbit of snapping my foot off the gas when running WOT and suddenly need to brake. I'm not looking at it as a performance addition, more so for reliability. As well if I have to get out of the throttle and then get back into it for whatever reason, theroretically it will spool back up quicker as it will not be shocked to a low rpm.

Neat Z24. Must have been a shock to locals when you pulled that out for the first time.

Its useless on an automatic. Its more of a ricer Honda thang. It will lighten your wallet and give you absolutely NO performance gains.

although it has no performance advantage at all. The BOV is a good investment to protect your aftermarket turbo.

you can rebuild your "aftermarket turbo" for the price of a BOV.....they are not needed on automatic cars

"you can rebuild your "aftermarket turbo" for the price of a BOV"

since when does rebuilding a turbo cost $100 plus $10 for a weld flange?

I'm sure theirs some sick vendors who would charge way over this. Last time I purchased one was '91 from eastern performance and it was not much over $100 bucks.....

ATR sell them anyone know how much?

thanks

check out the prices now, 13 years later..........

$500 and more will get you one that works with our cars

I would NEVER buy one for $500 or even $200!

You're right it would be cheaper to rebuild the turbo...

Originally posted by MistaScott
So if you are running a quarter mile, a BOV will have no effect on performance

Manual Bogosian has a twin turboed stage 2 buick running 8's with a godzilla BOV and thats only a quarter mile car. When buick's do those big burnouts and snort (thow it might sound good) i'm sure thats not a good thing? This person didn't asked this question looking for performance gains but for safety and personally I think he answered his own questions( save Turbo, MAF) Sure some people have lots of miles on there turbos and feel they're not worth it, but I guess thats why it comes down to personal preferance and in my opinion they are worth every penny :) They are not that expensive, I found a guy to put one on my up pipe for $130 out the door, just look around.

Theroretically it will spool back up quicker as it will not be shocked to a low rpm
they work

And try to ignore the ignorant people who feel they should downgrade a product thats mainly known for being on imports and have to call it a ricer item:rolleyes that obviously works on turboed cars PERIOD!

Manuel is prolly running 40 lbs of boost thru two turbos....I imagine he needs a BOV or two

just because he needs 'em doesn't mean the average TR does

not exactly relevant to most folks:)

40lbs of psi or 10, two turbos or one you still get a snort from the turbo which isn't the best thing for them. They have diff. BOV's for diff. applications, track or street.:)

Originally posted by HGturboT
Manual Bogosian has a twin turboed stage 2 buick running 8's with a godzilla BOV and thats only a quarter mile car.

But the BOV has no effect on performance or reducing turbo lag between gears on an automatic car. When he runs the quarter he slams the gas pedal down and the throttle blade is wide open the whole time. When he lets off there is backpressure and that is the only place where an argument holds up for a BOV.

Now, can we talk about something a little less controversial, like power plates:p

Originally posted by MistaScott
But the BOV has no effect on performance or reducing turbo lag between gears on an automatic car. When he runs the quarter he slams the gas pedal down and the throttle blade is wide open the whole time. When he lets off there is backpressure and that is the only place where an argument holds up for a BOV.

Now, can we talk about something a little less controversial, like power plates:p

Once again he isn't asking for performance gains, and like I said I think he answered his own questions.