blocking off heater.... need a little help finding a part.

TType84

cookin with propane
right now, this is what i have.

newmotor094.jpg

one 90* street plumbing elbow slid into and jb welded to one 90* non-street plumbing elbow. street just means one side is smaller so they slide together.

i used jb weld because i dont have any kind of way to weld / solder copper together.

I need to sand it a little and paint it.. but i'm not satisfied.

I did this because i can not find, for the life of me, assorted size RUBBER CAPS!!

I need one for the water pump outlet, i need one for the intake outlet, two for the heater core would be nice, i think i'd fill it with anti-freeze then cap it off. And two for the AC lines would be nice too..

Do you guys know anywhere that sells these things? They need to be able to withstand coolant system temperatures and pressures..

There is actually one capping off an outlet on my GTA radiator but i have no idea where it came from or where I could get one...

pipe plugs

Why not put a 1/2 in. brass pipe plug in the intake. You can also tap the pump outlet with a 3/8 in pipe tap. and install a 3/8 in pipe plug there. Now you will have a leak proof and very neat install. Let me know if you do not have a 3/8 pipe tap.

Re: pipe plugs

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Why not put a 1/2 in. brass pipe plug in the intake. You can also tap the pump outlet with a 3/8 in pipe tap. and install a 3/8 in pipe plug there. Now you will have a leak proof and very neat install. Let me know if you do not have a 3/8 pipe tap.
initially i was gonna do that.......

but im really scared if i pull that plug out the threads are gonna come with it, ive tried to loosen it before and it wouldnt even budge...

we have a tap and die set around here somehwere.. good idea (as always) lee.. thanks. ill see what i can do with it :D

Nick,

Not sure if you have an Autozone around you, but if I remember right, the "replace it" parts aisle usually has these rubber caps.

They're usually in the orange & blue packages.

I bought a bunch a while back if I remember right that's what they were. Moroso might have these as well.

However, Lee is right, the pipe plug is the best way. The rubber doesn't last as long and it's not as clean either. I've had some really stubborn heater nipples, but they finally come out without stripping the intake.

Try using an air impact gun on a low setting with the appropriate socket.