blm questions

Braxton Jordt

So I have a scanmaster and when my car is warmed up I checked the numbers and I get 160 for the blms and 00 for Iac. What does this mean?

By pegging your BLM's at 160.......your computer is telling you that you have a HUGE vacuum leak or pre turbo leak. Your ECM is adding a ton of fuel to compensate for a lean condition. You'd be wise not to drive it until you can get this under control & bring it down to 128 +/- 10 otherwise you could wash down your cylinders with fuel.

ive checked for vacuum leaks and cant find anything. is this just at an idle that its dumping a ton of fuel or at wot also. would swapping my pvc to an rjc one be a wise decision?

what is the BLM doing when cruising? is this something new, or has it been this way.

Bob

ever since I have hooked up my scanmaster it has been this way, when cruising it jumps around between 128 and 135

thats sort of the classic case of vacuum leak. it can be the EGR gasket, throttle shaft seals, PCV stuff, etc.

one thing to check, put the scanmaster on bL and drive around. once its warmed up watch it as you pull to a stop. If the BLM walks its way down, and then eventually back up, you may have a lazy O2 sensor thats cooling off at idle and falsely causing a high BLM. This is not too likely, but worth checking.

Also, when sitting idleing (with the BLM at 160) take a look at the INT, and see what its doing. If its moving around, and your O2 voltage is moving around then you are not too rich, the ECM is just adding fuel to match the air getting in thru the vacuum leak.

If the car drives ok, then its probably ok to leave it, or at least find the vacuum leak at your leisure.

Just my .02

Bob

The car runs great when I floor the car the 02 milivolts are about 900 so I didnt know if the blm and a vac leak had to do witht that or not

So how do you use this type of leak tester?
This is how I use it.close all the valves on the engine as to not let air out.now u can put the leak tester @the turbo an build pressure from there or as I do it,take the up pipe off an place the leak tester on the throttle body.now with the valves closed an the leaktester on give it no more psi then the max boost u run on your car.so if you run 15psi of boost then give nomore then that on the tester.now that the intake is charged with air now get a soapy water bottle an spray you will be amazed on what u find.

TRY ME!!

Braxton Jordt said:
how do I close the valves?

There may be another way (not sure), but if you remove the vc's and take off the rockers, all cables SHOULD be closed.

87-WE2 said:
There may be another way (not sure), but if you remove the vc's and take off the rockers, all cables SHOULD be closed.

Cables = valves! Dang autocorrect! B

I have my boy bump the starter a couple times well putting alittle air thru the leak tester till it holds. valves are closed at that point,when it holds air.I think its T.D.c

TRY ME!!