Blew up engine last night.

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
Well, I thought that maybe the stock bottom end would hold up until winter, but apparently not. Was driving and went to pass a vehicle and stood on it and poof, all the sudden a dead cylinder and lots of smoke. Smoke is being pushed out of the breather, so along with a dead miss, I assume a piston went or rings. I have put TA performance headers on it, a RJC 3 inch downpipe, Precision 64-66 turbo, 60 lb injectors, extender chip, and Alky kit. Been running very good, but I knew with all the extra power I was on borrowed time with the bottom end. Well, I planned on this winter to put a stroker crank, rods, forged pistons, roller cam, Better cylinder heads. I already took the engine and trans out today and also plan on going from my 2800 stall to a 3200 stall converter. I will freshen up the transmission as well, it is a fifteen year old Art Carr transmission that is still going good, but figure I would at least check on the clutches while it is out. Any ideas on what I should do? I don't know if using a stroker is a good idea or not, but I need to get this done quick. I still have plenty of summer left to go and have plans with the car. Advise on good components and build ideas are appreciated. I just plan to mostly drive the car on the street and go to shows, but may go to drag racing events once in a while.

Thank you
Matt

Either busted headgasket or split a piston one or the other. Hell scab it back together

Who is the dumb ass ass ass who rated Live4 RDO post as dumb.
I'm sorry, I must have done that by mistake. I've been using the iPhone and hit it by mistake. I went to see what you were talking about and it said undo rating, so I did and found out it was me. Sorry.

How much boost and timing were you running? The weak link is the headgasket which was already mentioned.

How much boost and timing were you running? The weak link is the headgasket which was already mentioned.
Timing was untouched, left that at preset on the chip. Boost has been at 21-22 lbs. been spraying alky, and o2s at wot have been consistently 820-840mv and zero kr. And blm is 128 while cruising.

I'm sorry, I must have done that by mistake. I've been using the iPhone and hit it by mistake. I went to see what you were talking about and it said undo rating, so I did and found out it was me. Sorry.

Thank you for un-rating of that post. I think this happens a lot. I do not understand why we even have a dumb icon. I guess Shane and Jay are not thinking.

Thank you for un-rating of that post. I think this happens a lot. I do not understand why we even have a dumb icon. I guess Shane and Jay are not thinking.
No problem. Like I said, I didn't even know that I did that until someone said something. I'm glad they did.

My money is on a head gasket. Clean it up , check bearings and put it back together. ..good luck

Bryan

My money is on a head gasket. Clean it up , check bearings and put it back together. ..good luck

Bryan
You were right. Bottom end is good. Blown head gasket on number 3 cylinder out the top. But you know, I've been wanting to stroke this thing for awhile, so I'm doing that right now and roller cam and aluminum gn1 heads. Should be fun when it's done!

Well, I thought that maybe the stock bottom end would hold up until winter, but apparently not. Was driving and went to pass a vehicle and stood on it and poof, all the sudden a dead cylinder and lots of smoke. Smoke is being pushed out of the breather, so along with a dead miss, I assume a piston went or rings. I have put TA performance headers on it, a RJC 3 inch downpipe, Precision 64-66 turbo, 60 lb injectors, extender chip, and Alky kit. Been running very good, but I knew with all the extra power I was on borrowed time with the bottom end. Well, I planned on this winter to put a stroker crank, rods, forged pistons, roller cam, Better cylinder heads. I already took the engine and trans out today and also plan on going from my 2800 stall to a 3200 stall converter. I will freshen up the transmission as well, it is a fifteen year old Art Carr transmission that is still going good, but figure I would at least check on the clutches while it is out. Any ideas on what I should do? I don't know if using a stroker is a good idea or not, but I need to get this done quick. I still have plenty of summer left to go and have plans with the car. Advise on good components and build ideas are appreciated. I just plan to mostly drive the car on the street and go to shows, but may go to drag racing events once in a while.

Thank you
Matt
Headgasket....and like a virgin the first ones always a little scary. You can have this done in a week if you want to. Pull the pan and check the bearings, put a rear seal and new timing chain set and new valve springs in it clean everything up good and put it back together and enjoy the summer. You will need 10k plus and a year if start down the other road.