blending questions i have alcohol % tester

thanks, what A/F to shoot for?
You might not be able to run a lot of boost because of the extra fuel volume that will be needed. However,you will be in control of your situation with constant monitoring. 10.8 to 1 should be safe,but again you'll see for yourself what you can do. The thing that you will notice is how much faster the boost comes on. Once you reach the limits of your fuel supply capabilities,you might be able to advance the timing some for more power. The thing that will allow you to do this is your ability to monitor everything. A 50/50 mix should yield 100 octane,but it will probably allow you to do more than you could with 100 0ctane gasoline and again the quick spool will get you hooked on it. You'll need a chip with the ability to adjust WOT fuel. I like the adjust ability of the Extender Chip.

Last edited:
Im running the sd2 chip with a flex fuel sensor. I mix daily☺. Using this feature allows you to adjust your boost, timing and ammount of fuel supplied based on the ethanol content. These self adjusting calculated settings are created by user defined tables that adjust based on ethanol content.

I'm assuming the fast xfi is the same just more bells and whistles.

You might not be able to run a lot of boost because of the extra fuel volume that will be needed. However,you will be in control of your situation with constant monitoring. 10.8 to 1 should be safe,but again you'll see for yourself what you can do. The thing that you will notice is how much faster the boost comes on. Once you reach the limits of your fuel supply capabilities,you might be able to advance the timing some for more power. The thing that will allow you to do this is your ability to monitor everything. A 50/50 mix should yield 100 octane,but it will probably allow you to do more than you could with 100 0ctane gasoline and again the quick spool will get you hooked on it. You'll need a chip with the ability to adjust WOT fuel. I like the adjust ability of the Extender Chip.

Can't you view the AF in Lamda? If so, then the number should always be the same no matter what fuel is used. No?

Can't you view the AF in Lamda? If so, then the number should always be the same no matter what fuel is used. No?
Ethanol likes a richer fuel mixture than gasoline and the more power you make,the richer the A/F ratio should be generally speaking. You can run leaner at lower power levels in general with either fuel.

Ethanol likes a richer fuel mixture than gasoline and the more power you make,the richer the A/F ratio should be generally speaking. You can run leaner at lower power levels in general with either fuel.

Yes, I know alcohol likes to be a richer mix. But the lambda stays the same. The Lambda number levels the playing field.

If your run your motor at 14.7 to 1 with gasoline it gives you lambda 1. If you run your motor at 9 to 1 with ethanol it gives you lambda 1..........So, if you run any other AF and you look at that lambda number, all you have to do is use the same lambda number for alcohol (Or any mix of any fuel).

Why bother trying to figure AF ratios. Too complicated just go for the same lambda number.

Yes, I know alcohol likes to be a richer mix. But the lambda stays the same. The Lambda number levels the playing field.

If your run your motor at 14.7 to 1 with gasoline it gives you lambda 1. If you run your motor at 9 to 1 with ethanol it gives you lambda 1..........So, if you run any other AF and you look at that lambda number, all you have to do is use the same lambda number for alcohol (Or any mix of any fuel).

Why bother trying to figure AF ratios. Too complicated just go for the same lambda number.
I,m only talking about WOT A/F ratios.

I,m only talking about WOT A/F ratios.

Forget the AF numbers for one minute. Imagine there is no such thing.

Instead there is just one description for every type of fuel that describes how rich or lean a burn is. Imagine that this description can be used for methane, propane, methanol, ethanol, nitro-methane, gasoline, diesel, or anything else you can think of. Now imagine a PERFECT burn for all of them being called ONE. Any number less than one equals RICH. Any number more than one equals LEAN.

This magic description is called Lambda. And if you tune with this number you never have to worry about rich or lean based on mixture. Different numbers, of course, will be used at different load points. Just like your AF numbers. But the tune will stay the same. Mix anything and just shoot for your favorite number.

For instance 11.7 to 1 in AF= lambda 0.8 when using gasoline. I use this AF quite a lot in my AF map.

And maybe somewhere around 7.5 to 1 in AF = the same lambda 0.8 when using ethanol. I don't know for sure because I hate doing math.

So, instead I ask the computer to give me "lambda 0.8" and now I don't have to do the math. You see? The computer will do the AF on it's own to achieve the right amount of squirt. So easy. All I have to do is take advantage of the higher octane and add timing!

If you are just using a Wide-Band gauge and you set it to read in lambda, then you will see what the number is when using gasoline. And then you can tune to match that number with your custom fuel mix. Because that number will be the same when the new fuel mixture burns with the same richness as the gasoline..

I think I just wrote the longest post I have ever written to Turbo Buick.:eek:

Forget the AF numbers for one minute. Imagine there is no such thing.

Instead there is just one description for every type of fuel that describes how rich or lean a burn is. Imagine that this description can be used for methane, propane, methanol, ethanol, nitro-methane, gasoline, diesel, or anything else you can think of. Now imagine a PERFECT burn for all of them being called ONE. Any number less than one equals RICH. Any number more than one equals LEAN.

This magic description is called Lambda. And if you tune with this number you never have to worry about rich or lean based on mixture. Different numbers, of course, will be used at different load points. Just like your AF numbers. But the tune will stay the same. Mix anything and just shoot for your favorite number.

For instance 11.7 to 1 in AF= lambda 0.8 when using gasoline. I use this AF quite a lot in my AF map.

And maybe somewhere around 7.5 to 1 in AF = the same lambda 0.8 when using ethanol. I don't know for sure because I hate doing math.

So, instead I ask the computer to give me "lambda 0.8" and now I don't have to do the math. You see? The computer will do the AF on it's own to achieve the right amount of squirt. So easy. All I have to do is take advantage of the higher octane and add timing!

If you are just using a Wide-Band gauge and you set it to read in lambda, then you will see what the number is when using gasoline. And then you can tune to match that number with your custom fuel mix. Because that number will be the same when the new fuel mixture burns with the same richness as the gasoline..

I think I just wrote the longest post I have ever written to Turbo Buick.:eek:
We can't run lambda at WOT.

We can't run lambda at WOT.

What? Do you mean lambda = 1.0? Of course you can't! You would blow it to kingdom come! But you most certainly will be able to run it at lambda = 0.8.

I see you are still confused as to what the lambda number really means.

Sorry my extra long post was so boring. :(

In general, if you don't understand what I was posting then that is even more reason why you shouldn't be mixing your own fuel.

What? Do you mean lambda = 1.0? Of course you can't! You would blow it to kingdom come! But you most certainly will be able to run it at lambda = 0.8.

I see you are still confused as to what the lambda number really means.

Sorry my extra long post was so boring. :(

In general, if you don't understand what I was posting then that is even more reason why you shouldn't be mixing your own fuel.
I read lambda and turned it to stoichiometric in my head. 0.8 would still be too lean. Either way,you can mix fuels in any number of ways.

I read lambda and turned it to stoichiometric in my head. 0.8 would still be too lean. Either way,you can mix fuels in any number of ways.

Stoich is lambda 1 with every fuel on earth. With gasoline at WOT what AF do you run? Is it around 11.2 to 1? If it is, just use it's lambda equivalent with your fuel. It will be just as rich. That's it. That's all. Then add timing for the increased octane. How do you think flex-fuel vehicles work? The same exact way.

You can mix any combination of fuel you can think of. It will always work with any cocktail you choose.

Stoich is lambda 1 with every fuel on earth. With gasoline at WOT what AF do you run? Is it around 11.2 to 1? If it is, just use it's lambda equivalent with your fuel. It will be just as rich. That's it. That's all. Then add timing for the increased octane. How do you think flex-fuel vehicles work? The same exact way.

You can mix any combination of fuel you can think of. It will always work with any cocktail you choose.
I run closed loop,so the a/f ratio is always being adjusted. My wideband tells me what my wot a/f ratio is. I still can't figure out what you are trying to say or why you are trying to say it. What the hell are you trying to say when you say use it's lambda equivalent?

I run closed loop,so the a/f ratio is always being adjusted. My wideband tells me what my wot a/f ratio is. I still can't figure out what you are trying to say or why you are trying to say it. What the hell are you trying to say when you say use it's lambda equivalent?
Think of it like bar to psi. Or, metric to standard, just another way of measuring air fuel. I believe European guys have been using it for years. Here's my take on mixing. If you have a smaller injector, there is no way to compensate enough flow (volume) to achieve target air fuel. Yea, sure octane rating will be better, but what good is that if it's to lean? Try to keep it simple. Doesn't take much detonation at 20 plus pounds to cause carnage. Phil.

Think of it like bar to psi. Or, metric to standard, just another way of measuring air fuel. I believe European guys have been using it for years. Here's my take on mixing. If you have a smaller injector, there is no way to compensate enough flow (volume) to achieve target air fuel. Yea, sure octane rating will be better, but what good is that if it's to lean? Try to keep it simple. Doesn't take much detonation at 20 plus pounds to cause carnage. Phil.
I understand what's being said. What I can't understand is why. The good news is that ITSAV6 has all of the information he was asking for.

I understand what's being said. What I can't understand is why. The good news is that ITSAV6 has all of the information he was asking for.
Thanks. Been wrenching on this thing since 1993 and still have my OTC2000(don't use it now) from back then in the days of tuning from knock retard and stock O2. Got a 13.1 with the stock chip. Lost 1 head gasket in 94 from a bad inj. I'm not one to throw 5 gal E85 in, turn the boost to 30 and floor it. Believe me I'll sneak up on it.

Thanks. Been wrenching on this thing since 1993 and still have my OTC2000(don't use it now) from back then in the days of tuning from knock retard and stock O2. Got a 13.1 with the stock chip. Lost 1 head gasket in 94 from a bad inj. I'm not one to throw 5 gal E85 in, turn the boost to 30 and floor it. Believe me I'll sneak up on it.
Do you have a hotwire for the pump and a volt booster.

Well, maybe it's easier for me because I have an XFI. If I want a certain richness, I use the description of that richness based off the number 1. Less then 1 is rich, more than 1 is lean.

I then put those numbers in my map. Then I can add any fuel I want. I then will fill in the fuel energy constant number I calculated or guessed. If the o2 correction being made is off, then I can re-adjust that number. If I had a flexfuel sensor, I wouldn't have to guess anything.

I'm figuring you could do it the same way. Just instead, by comparing how rich you like in a AF number with gasoline. And tune it just as rich in a lambda number with a custom mix. It would still be the same burn.

Yes, more fuel needs to be injected for more alcohol, but the burn is the same. This way you can compare the same number, Fuel to alky, without trying to figure out what your AF should be based on how much of this you mixed with that.

OK, I'm done. Just trying to help. BTW, does anyone reading this thread know what I'm talking about. Because I've been known to be a little wacked out sometimes.:confused:

Well, maybe it's easier for me because I have an XFI. If I want a certain richness, I use the description of that richness based off the number 1. Less then 1 is rich, more than 1 is lean.

I then put those numbers in my map. Then I can add any fuel I want. I then will fill in the fuel energy constant number I calculated or guessed. If the o2 correction being made is off, then I can re-adjust that number. If I had a flexfuel sensor, I wouldn't have to guess anything.

I'm figuring you could do it the same way. Just instead, by comparing how rich you like in a AF number with gasoline. And tune it just as rich in a lambda number with a custom mix. It would still be the same burn.

Yes, more fuel needs to be injected for more alcohol, but the burn is the same. This way you can compare the same number, Fuel to alky, without trying to figure out what your AF should be based on how much of this you mixed with that.

OK, I'm done. Just trying to help. BTW, does anyone reading this thread know what I'm talking about. Because I've been known to be a little wacked out sometimes.:confused:
I do understand what ur saying. The XFI has lots more bells and whistles than my GEN2 translator:D