Blazer Spindle Baer Project

c6v6

Just thought I'd share a project I did last month. With these parts laying around for a couple of years I thought why not try this out. Since no one makes this bracket and never made the budget for ATS spindles :(
Here is what I did.
Parts involved used set of Baer C4 calipers and 13inch rotor kit and complete blazer spindle.
Im not an engineer, but pretty good with math :)
To make the bracket I mounted rotor to spindle and put caliper on, this step determined the thickness needed to center the caliper bracket to the rotor. Next step installed pads to bracket to determine pads touch the rotor in which will determine holes location on the spindle bracket to the caliper bracket.
After driving around for a couple weeks I checked my conversion, checked bolts everything looks good.
My plan was to use simple GM parts for future maintenance and look good with a tight budget :)
Some steps also done were grind one side of the spindle so bracket sits flat. Also grind caliper bracket edges to clear spindle bolts. As seen in the pics very minimal grinding was involved. I used a drill press for the holes starting with a small to correct size bit. And also used red loctitie for all bolts. Also needed to round all edges of the bracket and trimmed dust cover.
Overall- Works GREAT!!! Has anyone else tried this? I know its Baers' old version and there are better new calipers out there but I always liked this look. I have 18inch wheels.

Thought I might miss something so any suggestions if this is "SAFE" or ?. Thanks for any input.
IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

Hopefully I can do the rears next month. Old pic, yes I flipped rotors LOL!

Thought I might miss something so any suggestions if this is "SAFE" or ?. Thanks for any input.

You might want to chamfer or round the edges of the holes in your caliper mount bracket to prevent cracks from forming. Past that, looks good to me.

Looks great - nice wheels. HREs are awesome

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Holly molly, thanks a lot. I'll have to read all that later.
If you guys would check the stickys once in a while you might find some good info.;) This is part of the suspension and brakes stickys and there's a lot more info in it.:D Now if those pics were smaller I might be able to see them, but they're so big my system times out before I get to see more than 1/2 of what's been posted.:(

Foolish me..thanks for the link...just read through it. Same spindle heights, so no benefits of improved Instant Center or relocated Roll Center. Just more braking power.

Steering knuckles (spindles) won't change IC or RC. IC is the theoretical point (imaginary) that a set of 4 link bars would meet at when viewed from the side and RC is a function of center of gravity and chassis roll.

Does anyone know if the C5/C6 hub bearings fit on the blazer spindles?

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread just was wondering since we are on the blazer project topic.

No the C5/C6 hub bearings will not fit. Why not just go with the C5 brakes? Kore3 makes a bracket to bolt on C5/C6 brakes onto the blazer spindle.

Steering knuckles (spindles) won't change IC or RC. IC is the theoretical point (imaginary) that a set of 4 link bars would meet at when viewed from the side and RC is a function of center of gravity and chassis roll.

RC is a geometric function of the suspension links when viewed from the front of the car. It has nothing to do with center of gravity, though it is affected by spindle height. Your front roll moment is defined as the distance between the front RC and the Center of Mass. The rear also has it's own RC along with IC... the connection of the front RC and rear RC forms an imaginary "roll axis" that goes through the car.

I was paraphrasing from the Bosch Automotive handbook, which is an engineering handbook.;) There is a front and rear RC but it needs to be defined as such or generally it's considered based on the center of the chassis.

Huh? Pretty sure the Bosch handbook doesn't say that spindle height won't affect RC. At least I know Milliken, Carroll Smith, or the Herb Adams literature can't be paraphrased that way...

No the C5/C6 hub bearings will not fit. Why not just go with the C5 brakes? Kore3 makes a bracket to bolt on C5/C6 brakes onto the blazer spindle.

Thanks. I have looked into numerous options and still have not decided what route I am taking.

Thanks. I have looked into numerous options and still have not decided what route I am taking.

If you go with c5 brakes up front, I actually have an extra set brand new raw aluminum without the corvette logo. They are fully assembled on the PABs ready to bolt on if you are interested.