Black wheels in 15"

boostfreak

knock? is that good?
I've got a white t and I'm really digging the black wheels look. I have been looking at a set of 17's but lately I've been toying with the idea of 15's so I could get more tire in the back for the track. I was wondering if anyone has seen any black wheels in 15 (besides the American Racing 767's ala Fast and the Furious :rolleyes:) I would really like to find a drag racing style wheel like a draglite or pro stars, but in a black finish. If I can't, does anyone know how difficult it would be to powdercoat wheels? Thanks a bunch and whatever I get I'll be sure to post pics.

Bueller?

Well I guess no one knows any. I guess I'll get a set of draglites and powdercoat them. I would imagine I have to sandblast them first, right?

That would be cool. What kicked the whole thing off was I was looking for wheels and I found a link to an American Racing wheel called the mojave in teflon black. I was intrigued until I realized that it was an off road wheel:rolleyes:. Well I got to thinking, what if I could replicate it by coating a weld draglite? I'm not 100 percent on the idea, but I might find a similar junk wheel and see what it looks like. I wonder if I can coat over the polished finish or if I will have to dip and sandblast them first?

here are some pics from a few years back of an old set of Weld Prostars "painted" black I ran on my car (rears only, fronts are 17s). HTH

Attachments

• Noble 015.jpg
    Noble 015.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 347
  • Noble 017.jpg
    Noble 017.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 349
Looks good. What kind of prep work did you do to the wheel prior to paint? Thanks.

Looks good. What kind of prep work did you do to the wheel prior to paint? Thanks.

All I did was tape/mask off the area I didn't want scratched or painted (the outer hoop) and hit the center section with some scotch brite real good for paint adhesion. Then cleaned the surface good with thinner and gave it the Krylon touch;).
I have since sold the wheels to a buddy and the paint still looks decent.
The taping off is what took the longest. Trying to lay a straight edge piece of tape around a circle was a bit of a pain, but still came out nice.

All I did was tape/mask off the area I didn't want scratched or painted (the outer hoop) and hit the center section with some scotch brite real good for paint adhesion. Then cleaned the surface good with thinner and gave it the Krylon touch;).
I have since sold the wheels to a buddy and the paint still looks decent.
The taping off is what took the longest. Trying to lay a straight edge piece of tape around a circle was a bit of a pain, but still came out nice.

Damn! That's a pretty good job for tape and krylon. I might have to try something similar.

Just for the record....Fast and Furious wheels are Crager Soft 8's....yes, I'm looking at a set.....can't wait til everyone hears this ;)

I think if anyone buys those they will automatically become TB.com pariahs:D.

Then again...I wonder what they would look like on my car....

skip the soft 8's and go straight for a set of Aero or Basset stock car wheels. they are cheap, light, strong, and look awesome.

skip the soft 8's and go straight for a set of Aero or Basset stock car wheels. they are cheap, light, strong, and look awesome.

Holy crap, they are cheap! I like how the red pin stripe on the Basset breaks up the all the black. That might be a winner.

I'm going with Weld Vitesse in black. They are about a month out as they need to be made... 15x6 front and 15x8 rear.

Great minds must think a like, cause I'm looking for the same thing. I'm wanting something like that, but looks like to get a 28" dia. 15's is what I'm going to have to do.

Keep me posted on what all you find. I have a white T also. It's the one thats getting the 4.1.

Thanks!!

Great minds must think a like, cause I'm looking for the same thing. I'm wanting something like that, but looks like to get a 28" dia. 15's is what I'm going to have to do.

Keep me posted on what all you find. I have a white T also. It's the one thats getting the 4.1.

Thanks!!

Looks like I may go the custom route. I'm going to talk to a shop today about powdercoating and what all it will involve. I'm liking the idea of powdercoating a weld draglite. I think I will do it to a similar cheaper wheel first before I dive in.

A little north of $1600.00. Bad part is they are made to order so I won't have them until mid May. Summit was the cheapest place I found to get them.