Black smoke and running rough

Evilttz

Started the car this morning (87GN), running real rough and smoking (black smoke).. Give it gas and it cuts off. Any ideas as to whats happened??? Last start up (few days ago) car ran fine...

Thanks for any help....

Sounds like your maf sensor took a dump. Start it up and tap it with a screw driver handle and see if it stumbles, farts, ect. You can also start it up and unplug it and see if it runs different??

Dead on.... Thats why I luv this site.... Thanks for the help... Any suggestions on MAF upgrades????

Well you can stay with a stock GM unit (NOT a rebuilt one!!) but they are getting harder to come buy all the time but still can be found. LT-I or LS-I with a translator seem to be the most opted for upgrade. I run low 10's on a stock one.

Not the cheaper route.... but I'm not a fan of the stock MAF. I understand the only ones worth a crap are GM.... and they have been discontinued for some time now. I would recommend you pony up and get a translator and a LS1 MAF meter..... and a cold air kit. I am running one of Mark's (http://www.buickgn.com/) "Big Mouth" Cold Air Kit. Mine is the 3-1/2" version.... mates nice to the LS1 MAF meter. You can get the MAF and the translator through Eric Marshall @ Turbotweak.com.

There may be other opinions to fix your problem, but I like my setup fine... and you can still get the (much larger than the stock '87 MAF meter) LS1 MAF meter all day long from GM.

(dang it Mike.... :) if I wouldn't have gotten so long winded.... I'd have beat you to the punch....)

Don't forget the simple blown off IC hose, and or a ruptured diaphram on the FP reg.

Just for some comparison sake, you can pick up original known good maf's for anywhere between $50 to $300. LS-I set up $500 plus when your done. More dependable? I'd say yes. Availability? Great, you can buy them all over the place. Run any better? Well I have 3 friends here with LS-I set ups on thier cars with either Marks or Tin Man cold air kits and NO they run NO better or NO worse than my car with my stock maf and a Tin Man cold air kit.

Good comparison Mike. At some point, the stock MAF is a sizeable enough restriction it will be robbing enough HP to be holding you back. I don't know at what level that is. Properly functioning stock MAF's do run just fine. I can tell you that I took a good stock MAF off my car and stock plumbing that I had a K&N filter on the end of..... and put the setup I mentioned above on it and went out for a test drive and my boost came up 1-1/2 - 2 psi without touching the wastegate.... and that was with a stock turbo. IMHO, even at lower HP levels.... it makes some HP difference....