Billet Forward Drum, has anyone broken one?

GNVYUS 1

I am on the fence here with my 200 as its developed a wierd 2-3 shift problem where it shifts 2nd into 3rd at 5200 and then comes back into 2nd immediately and shifts at 5375 back into third again.

Its getting looked at next week but I have a Th400 in my garage and might throw it in if I can learn more about the 200's billet hard parts. I am considering throwing in a billet forward drum if the 200's problem is something really cheap and nothing serious.

My question is whats the fastest E.T. someone has gone on just the drum?
( no billet input shaft but on a good rebuild )

What E.T. has a billet drum been broken at?

If the only thing you replace is the drum with a billet piece, it will never fail. The rest of the transmission will self destruct before that can ever happen. Since it is no longer the weakest link in the chain, something else will always break first.

According to Bruces write up on Strenghthening the 2004r at the top of this forum, the billet shaft will take 1350 Ft Lbs of torque before it will fail.

it is practicly impossible to break the billet forward drum.during our initial testing of our drum we twisted 3 until we found the proper heat treating method.after that we have not broken ANY.3 years and counting

Chris, whats the fastest E.T. you can recall someone pulling off with the stock input shaft?

I might do the drum and just leave the stock shaft as I do not plan on setting the car on kill and doing 10-20psi launches.

DR.BOOSTER said:
Chris, whats the fastest E.T. you can recall someone pulling off with the stock input shaft?

I might do the drum and just leave the stock shaft as I do not plan on setting the car on kill and doing 10-20psi launches.
watch out for leaking trans pans!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Chris, its actually made my decision a bit harder, swap or stay.

I hear ya on those leaking trans pans. My deep one always seems to have a slight hint of fluid around the gasket and a nice puddle of fluid near the drain plug, what a pain in the butt. ;)

We have not had 1 PTS XTREME billet drum or shaft break...........

I had them tested at Boeing and they tested them in a controlled enviroment to 1400 ftlbs of force. This is on a machine that gives true readings to within +or- 2 ft lbs. We had one with an air bubble in the metal but caught it before anything went wrong. I have not heard of any of our drums or drum shafts breaking and if there is I want to know about it asap. But till now, we have not had any. :biggrin:

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

WE4 said:
I had them tested at Boeing and they tested them in a controlled enviroment to 1400 ftlbs of force. This is on a machine that gives true readings to within +or- 2 ft lbs. We had one with an air bubble in the metal but caught it before anything went wrong. I have not heard of any of our drums or drum shafts breaking and if there is I want to know about it asap. But till now, we have not had any. :biggrin:

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com
chris built me a stage2 trans 2004r with all billet parts i run around 550 hp. launching at 10lbs boost no problems at all. let chris from ck performance build your tranny. they test them in a grand national before it is sent out.

I am not trying to butt Chris against Bruce here as I really do not know if

The drum Bruce and Chris sell are the same unit?

Even if so, sounds like there are no problems with either unit. :cool:

Now where the hell am I going to find $400 bones? :mad: :mad: :frown: ;)

I am pretty impressed, two guys actually took the time and money to design a much needed billet part for us, thumbs up guys :wink:
To bad you guys are not into 90-94 Turbo Talons and Eclipses, we are getting our asses handed to us on that trans part prices.

If my tranny guy says my rebuilt trans needs work, I am going with a billet drum and keeping the 200-4R.

Thanks for the info guys ;)