Billet Drum

WUTSAV8

I was doing some homework on various trans parts, and I have a question about "Billet Drums"

None on the market are full billet correct? It seems kind of misleading to offer a "billet" drum with just a shaft welded onto the stock drum.

Also, speaking of the shaft, are these pieces full billet or possibly something else?

Thanks in advance.

It isn't the drum that breaks, it's the shaft, thus the reason for the shaft being billet. I think I would be safe in saying that a complete drum of billet would not only be difficult (if ot impossile) to make but would be out of the cost reach of mere mortals to afford, just my 2 cents. :D

If you so desire....

I can provide you with a step by step process of how they are assembled, out of what they are assembled and why they were created. We tested at Boeing and improved the points in the drum where Boeing felt we could improve. Then back to testing. Both parts, billet shaft drum, and input shafts, were tested to 1400 TRUE ft lbs in a controlled test. Both passed flying colors. And yes they are billet. They actually start as a 3" piece for the drum shaft and a 1.35 inch piece for the input shaft. Install one. Try to break it. If you do I will buy the trans from you. So far in 5 years ,700 drums later , no takers, so point proven there.

What exactly were you accusing me of in this statement?
Do you think I would intenionally mislead people and not give them what I state? And get away with it for all this time?

"Also, speaking of the shaft, are these pieces full billet or possibly something else? "

Now as for your comment of "It seems kind of misleading to offer a "billet" drum with just a shaft welded onto the stock drum"

There is so much more to it than you know. The center support is modified for oil and for clearence. The drum is reinforced. The lube thru the clutches is increased. Roller bearing is fabricated to the drum. All welding is done in a vaccum with a laser. It is actually fused. Then there is finish. Ask somebody who has watched the process at our facility. Ask Someone who has run them or installed them. We looked into making the whole drum. The wax mold alone would have exceeded 30 K with drawings and finish to boot. Alot of work and high grade material goes into the PTS1 Drum and PTS -300 shafts. And the planet will be in full production too.
Now Just for info, I was once told that the patents applied for would never go through. Well, I was contacted this week by the patent office and it HAS gone thru. Private release Oct 1, 2002, public release Dec 5 2002.

Now I can say I truly own my design. . :D

However if it makes you feel better we will call it a billet shafted forward drum... And the patent is reged as billet intermediate shafted forward drum.

There.... feel better? :p

Bruce
WE4

Much :)

BTW, I wasn't accusing you or anybody for that matter, I was just wondering why they call it a billet drum when it wasn't really all billet :)

LOL

Now that I sit back and read it again, I did answer that, heheheheheh.

Nice piece they are too!!!!

And I noticed, you are "out here" also,( The dictatorship of Ca.) Stop bye sometime for a tour and to "just shoot the breeze" . Always welcome you all are!!!!

LOL

Bruce
WE4

Originally posted by WUTSAV8
Much :)..... I was just wondering why they call it a billet drum when it wasn't really all billet :)

I think it's just short for "billet intermediate shafted forward drum" and a little easier say, not misleading at all. ;)