Billet Cranks

Big Stu

Flogged Donkey
Any pros or cons between a forged and a billet crank? Reason I ask, I have a guy in california that owns a company that machines aerospace parts. He frequently uses these machines to make heads, blocks, and anything else you could possibly want made out of iron, aluminum or titanium. I asked him what it would cost to make cranks , and for me it would be the cost of the material, that's it. Either of these stronger than the other? I am still trying to get him to take one of my blocks and see what he can do with it. :D

All you rich guys with stage parts and no one knows? I guess I'll have a few made and see what I think for myself. Seems to be the way to go with other fast race car builds, so who knows? Can't beat the cost, so why not. :)

Recap

If memory serves me, that depends on who you ask.

If I had the $'s, the billet pieces sure are nice and as
far as I'm concerned from a development point of view are a touch ahead of the forged pieces.

In spite of the above, when I found a clean ringing forged standard size crank, it found a new home. :)

Cool, thanks. I am having him make 3 or 4 to start with, two 3.59 and two 3.625. They will hopefully be done in the next couple months and I'll let eve :) rybody know how they turned out.

I prefer billet, Crower makes about the best I have seen, L.A. Enterprises was another big name but I had one that was not indexed properly (different stroke on each throw!) Remember, the shorter you keep the stroke, the stronger it will be.

Yes bill, I remember you has said that in another thread. I always write down your info on things. :D My friend chuck is doing a bunch of hemi style chevy heads for nick arias, so these will be a joint venture between those two. I can't really say when it will happen, but arias's stuff has always been nice, so I think these should be too. :)

Billit Cranks For Sale

Speaking of billit cranks . . . I have a couple of L.A. Billit cranks for sale. They are 3.230 Stroke.

They are BRAND NEW.

They are for a narrow journal Rods.

Make Offer (Not lookin to get rich, Just tryin to get them out of my way.)

Also have a couple 2.66 stroke (Used / In Good Shape) Make Offer

Winberg Crankshafts ???

Randy Winberg,

WINBERG Crankshafts on a custom basis..., maybe able to help you.
Last time I talked to him, he could make anything and makes a (very) fine example of a billet shaft. He also repairs crankshafts, which is not something you can find ever day.
FYI: I have NEVER seen a better looking crankshaft, his shafts are a work of art...

Another CS man (they work together)
Mile High CrankShafts ... (Dave Olsen #303-781-6764)

This is his (Randys) O L D Phone # 303-783-2234 (Englewood, CO)

Note: He/they may have moved, it has been a dozen or so years.

:confused: :confused:

Gary thanks for the info, I appreciate that. :)

Chris, any good news on your motor lately?

Big Stu said:
. . .Chris, any good news on your motor lately?

Depends on what you call good news. The good news is that I will not have to pay for it for a while :) . I talked to the macine shop today and he told me that he is really busy trying to work the bugs in his new racecar (damn chevys :mad: ),So my motor is in the "I'll work on your stuff when I'm done with mine" list. :confused: Keep your fingers crossed that he'll get his junk lined out & start working on mine.

BAGN said:
Depends on what you call good news. The good news is that I will not have to pay for it for a while :) . I talked to the macine shop today and he told me that he is really busy trying to work the bugs in his new racecar (damn chevys :mad: ),So my motor is in the "I'll work on your stuff when I'm done with mine" list. :confused: Keep your fingers crossed that he'll get his junk lined out & start working on mine.

Damn, I feel for you... was this a shop you were referred to or had been doing business with for some time? Just seems like the runaround would get pretty old. I myself, don't know what I'll do when it comes time for my assembly, I'm not a very patient person like that. :D

Big Stu said:
... was this a shop you were referred to or had been doing business with for some time?

I've been using this particular shop for a long time. They do all my SPECIAL :cool: stuff. He knows his way around a Stage II very well. He did tell me when I dropped it off that it might take him a little while to be able to get to it (i didn't think it would take this long). But I know it will be done right & worth the wait. Plus he gives good discounts on cash deals. ;) :D