Biggie Oil Filter

b4black

One of more common oil upgardes on an 86/87 is replace the adapter in the oil cooler so that a larger PF24 can be run instead of PF-47 or PF-52. We don't have on oil cooler, so we can't do it. :(

But I found a oil pump colver that will fit our motors and use the PF-24. It was descibed on ebay as follows:
NOS Buick oil pump overhaul kit grp. 1.652 pn. 1262517
(25523436). Fits all 1979 1980 Buick 350 V8 engines.

It looks just like the cover I had, but doesn't say "METRIC" across the bottom. 1262517 is superseded by 25523436, but I think 25523436 may be a METRIC cover.

Let us know if that works. Only real problem with this is that by not using the filter size designed for the car if something goes wrong with the filter and it damages the motor, the filter company will accept no responsibility. Seen it happen more than once.

Anyone using a remote Oil filter as I am using? It uses a NAPA 1515, or PH8A filter. The filter holds about 1 quart so you get an extra oil volume.

I have my plumed so it goes though an oil cooler first then to the filter, then back to the engine. I am also using a magnetic drain plug.

Hi Rich, You should be able to use that part. It is from an 350 Buick and the 231 and 350 used the same front covers and oil pumps. Eric Fisher

Hi Pat, I'll try again tonight to get those pix out to you. That storm took mine and everybody in the neighborhood with Road Runner modems out and they didn't get to me until Sunday. Plus I have a problem sending them so as soon as I find a way to send them for free you'll be seeing them. Thanks Eric

Well I picked up a PF-24 yesterday. It's fatter than a PF-52, but shorter. It's way better than a PF-47, but I don't know if it's worth searching, paying $$$ and installing over using the PF-52.

If you come across one cheap, it's worth getting, but for a semi-stock, street car, I think the PF-52 is fine (IMO). If if can find a tiny PF-47 laying around, I'll take a picture of the three.

fc227

Whos remote filter setup is that, when i built my car i planned on installing one, but never did, i also wanted to install an oil cooler(how big), but also never did, and as of last year i thought i was crazy for thinking it, because i havent seen anyone else with one.

I'm using the "TD Performance oil filter relocation" kit. It uses a ford style filter. (Get it though Jeg’s, summit, PAW, ECT.)
Moroso also offers a remote filter adapter, but we don't offer the hoses at this time. That one uses a Chevy style filter.

As for the oil cooler I have a permacool dual cooler with fan. I'm using the 2 row to cool the engine oil and the 4 core for the tranny because I have a griffin radiator with no tranny cooler built in.

Remote oil system

Anyone thought about the remote oil system that has the supply line straight to the turbo. It also goes to the larger filter. Sold by poston enterprises says it fits 84-87 cars. If it were to fit the 84-85 then it should fit ours.

fc227

sounds cool, i would like to install a seperate oil cooler, i already have a trans cooler. did you notice any difference with the cooler?

I installed in on a new engine, so I do not have anything to compare it too.