Biggie adapter and bad filters

captndave737

So I got an RJC biggie oil filter adapter and bought 5 WIX filters. I had never done this before but probably should have, I blew into the center hole on the oil filters to check the anti drain back valve as recommended by RJC and 3 out of the 5 failed!

I guess I should have been doing this with all my filters for the past 32 years.

What happens if you have one on your car and it leaks? I want to learn something here. Thanks

I've never heard of "blowing" into the filter as an anti-drainback valve test. Seems completely invalid to me.

The "valve" is the rubber flap you see behind the small holes around the center hole. It likely won't seal dry, and air from your lungs, assuming your lips are meaty enough to fully seal against the center hole, won't be enough pressure to push the rubber against the holes. And the anti-drainback is only so effective. The filter will drain back through the center hole down to the level in the sump or the level at the bottom of the center hole, whichever is higher.

If you want to know if your filter is working, take a sample and send it off to somebody like Blackstone Labs and have them analyze it. They'll tell you if your filter is shit.

This sounds like a way to get you to tongue fuck a filter and possibly have a photo of such spread on the internet.

I've never heard of "blowing" into the filter as an anti-drainback valve test. Seems completely invalid to me.

The "valve" is the rubber flap you see behind the small holes around the center hole. It likely won't seal dry, and air from your lungs, assuming your lips are meaty enough to fully seal against the center hole, won't be enough pressure to push the rubber against the holes. And the anti-drainback is only so effective. The filter will drain back through the center hole down to the level in the sump or the level at the bottom of the center hole, whichever is higher.

If you want to know if your filter is working, take a sample and send it off to somebody like Blackstone Labs and have them analyze it. They'll tell you if your filter is shit.

This sounds like a way to get you to tongue fuck a filter and possibly have a photo of such spread on the internet.
This was the test RJC said to do and cautioned not to use one that doesn't pass the test. I know what the drainback valve is and I agree oil and air are different but why take a chance? 2 passed the test and I'll use them. The others are going back. I also ordered some Baldwin and will test them.

Oil will flow out of the filter when the car is shut down and it will take a few seconds to get oil pressure on start up.

The more practical implication is how messy your hand gets installing a new filter that you've pre-filled. If the drainback valve works, that pre-fill stays in the filter when you turn it sideways to install it. If not, you make a mess.

Baldwin B9
Got 2 of those yesterday. Both failed the blow test. So far 2 out of 7 filters passed! At least theyre easy to return with Amazon. I'm going to the parts store today and I'll check a bunch of brands and see if any consistently pass the test.

Be careful of the security cams.

"I see you're real popular on Facebook."

"But I'm not on Facebook."

"Oh yes you are!"