BFG or MT Drag radials?

jdpolzin

What is the best for an overall street driven car? BFG G-Force Drag radials or MT ET Drag radials? The car has GNX wheels with regular tires on them but I have an extra set of GNX's that I plan to put DR's on. I will mostly use tham on the track but they will also have plenty of street time! Thanks -----Jeremy

I have BFG DR's 255/16's and they hook pretty well. 1.60ft with stock suspension. They've lasted a year and a half now. I have driven in rain and have had no problem.

See vid listed below.

The BFG's will last longer, but the M/T is the way to go. Much better traction. Thats why some racing orgs ban them in their radial tire classes.

Ok, the MT's are only about $10 more than the BFG's are. I want something that will do OK in a case I might get stuck in the rain! Are the MT's pretty decent in the rain?? They dont seem like they would be! I am more or less leaning towards the MT's though. Any ideas who has the best prices on them?

jdpolzin said:
Ok, the MT's are only about $10 more than the BFG's are. I want something that will do OK in a case I might get stuck in the rain! Are the MT's pretty decent in the rain?? They dont seem like they would be! I am more or less leaning towards the MT's though. Any ideas who has the best prices on them?

It depends on how much rain. If the streets are just wet it's okay. If there's any standing water at all you're in trouble. I got caught in a deluge a couple of weeks ago and nearly killed myself trying to drive it on the highway (50 MPH, which is about 10 MPH slower than traffic was moving). I had to get off onto secondary streets where I could take a slower pace.

Jim

For a 12 second or slower car, get Nittos. I have been 1.7 60' times on them and they last a long long time. They are good in the rain too. If you have an 11 second car, get the BFG's. If you are in the 10's or 9's, get the MT's.

For a mostly track use, the MT drag radials are the way to go. You can drive on them in the rain, just drive slow. The traction is the best you will get from street tires, almost as good as slicks. Very comfortable on the street but they you may only get a few thousand miles from them if you race a lot.

The Nittos are bad for mainly track use. Once in a while you will get a decent 60ft, buts thats the exception rather than the rule. With poor track prep or less than ideal conditions they will spin easily and have poor recovery. However, the Nittos are great for a mainly street driven car with occasional track use. They work great in the rain and and have good wear.

The BFGs fall somewhere in between. While some get decent 60fts, they aren't as consistent as the MTs. They will last longer than the MTs, but probably not as long as the Nittos and probably don't handle as good as the Nittos in wet or dry.

If you aren't worried about getting alot of mileage and driving in the rain on long trips, the MTs should be fine. As far as for a 12 second car or faster, your car may be a 12 car on MTs but oly a 13 sec car on Nittos. ;)

turbojimmy said:
It depends on how much rain. If the streets are just wet it's okay. If there's any standing water at all you're in trouble. I got caught in a deluge a couple of weeks ago and nearly killed myself trying to drive it on the highway (50 MPH, which is about 10 MPH slower than traffic was moving). I had to get off onto secondary streets where I could take a slower pace.

Jim

i had the same problem...but my car wouldnt go over 30 without wanting to walk around...

I had BFGs and MT on an 11 second car. The MT were better for me as far a 60 fts. Can't comment on the rain since my car is a garage queen. ;)

My friend had Nittos and did not like them. They were very inconsistent for him. He would get a 1.7 60', then a 2.0+ the next. Maybe it was him, but he has MTs now and said the car got 1.80's on every pass with no tire spin. That was his first time out. So he is looking to get into the 1.70s again.

I'd say the BFGDR's are no better in the rain than the MTs, that wide patch in the center causes it to hydroplane in any puddling at speeds greater than 30mph.
I do get 1.7 60' pretty consistantly with the BFGDRs at 10# launches.
I have a set of MTs, just haven't mounted them yet, waiting for every last piece of tread to wear off the BFGDRs :D

Who has the best price for MT's? I will be looking for the 255/50/16's! Thanks for your comments. I think I will go with the MT's!!! ------Jeremy

jdpolzin said:
Who has the best price for MT's? I will be looking for the 255/50/16's! Thanks for your comments. I think I will go with the MT's!!! ------Jeremy
Contact MONTE. He runs the "Brakes, Suspension Tires and Wheels" on this board. He has good prices. Plus he built a kick ass front mount for my GN.
Scott

2QUIK6 said:
I do get 1.7 60' pretty consistantly with the BFGDRs at 10# launches.
I have a set of MTs, just haven't mounted them yet, waiting for every last piece of tread to wear off the BFGDRs :D

On my stock turbo, I get 1.6 60's consistently on MT DRs. With the 6152 turbo I was getting 1.5 60's consistently on a 8# launch. I think a high 1.4 60' will be possible with some suspension tweaking. Enter a burnout contest with the BFGDRs and slap those MTs on. :D

If you find a board member who sells the MT DRs you'll probably save some $. I ordered mine from Summit though.

jdpolzin said:

MONTE has the best price on MT's. He has a post in the advertisers section.

mt's

they are better on hookup than bf's had both but now only mt's they are built where I work they are a lot different in construction and assembly then even our ultra high performance tires I watch my buddy build them a lot he hates building them because the tolerances are so tight.i bought 4 pair in the last year 2 pair for friends they said they can not believe the difference from the bf's

I run both tires, 275-50-15 BFG's Drag Radials and the new 27" MT Drag Radials. My car revs too high through the traps with the 26"BFG tires and the 27' are perfect for the 1/4 mile in my car. I'll use the 26's for the street and 1/8 miles. I get no rubbbing with either tire.

The MT's hook real well but I had 1.5's 60 ft. time with BFG's in the past. The only downside to the MT's are they wear quick because they seem soft and that soft rubber is a nightmare to clean off the quarter panels.

Both are great tires and we are lucky to have a choice. BFG's are perfect for mostly street-sometimes strip use, and MT's are the best for the drag strip, plus that new 27" tall size is perfect for our cars. Paul

What new 27" are you refering to? I see in summet 275/50r15 is 26" and the 255/60r15 is 27". I'm in need of new tires also I have the bf's now 275/50r15. also curious about what mph /rpm you can go with 26" vs27" in quarter mile. I'm pretty impressed with how the bf's are in the rain. I havn't slowed down one bit when it was raining out. Was worried about it with all I've heard about these tires being bad in the rain but good on my end. they've been better in rain than the 265/50r15 regular radial bf's I got on my Monte Carlo and they have good tread on them.