BFG DR question.

Race Jace

Research, New Tech and Development
Staff member
Will the 275/60/15 BFG drag radials rub on the inside of the frame when mounted on stock GN wheels without any kind of wheel spacer? I can't remember if they will clear or not. I know the 28/10.5/15 slicks won't fit but cant remember if the DRs clear.

I need someone who is actually running them on the stock GN wheels to please inform me. The T wheels are a little bit different than the GN ones and again i can't quite remember what the difference is.

I hope this will help you. I have 15x8 Centerline Telstar with 4 inch back spacing on the back now, and they don't rub.

Jason, I ran 275/60-15 bfg dr's on stock gn wheels with no rubbing.... buddy of mine decided to do the same and his rubbed and required a spacer........ at this size it does'nt seem to be cut n dry

i have 275/60 M/T DR's on stock GN rims, totally stock 1986 rear suspension, no rubbing at all. stock alum drums also

drag radials

If you want some good hooking tires buy the new mickey thompson tires they work great. If the track is preped right, i've had a 1.63 sixty ft leaving at 10#. Leaving at 5 or 6# you dont need a burnout and still having a 1.66 sixty. Only thing done to the rear is the ATR sway bar so far. This is in a 90,000 mile stock car with a 51 turbo. Sorry for talking about these tires but they WORK!!!

hell yeah they do! a friend has a drag radial mustang, and went from 9ohs to 8.70 with NO OTHER CHANGE BUT THE TIRES!!!! AND that was 325/50 ( 28/10.5 ) to M/T 275/60s ( 28/9 ). LESS TIRE!

I can tell you for sure tomorrow or Tuesday, I will be mounting mine on my GN wheels then. Guy RedsTType told me they would fit so I am going to go ahead and mount them
HTH

I run the 275/50/15 BFG DR on stock GN rims and require a spacer. They are very close to fitting without the spacer but rub the frame. 1/4" spacer clears.

What is the back spacing on a GN wheel? I am running the 275/60 DR's on my GN with a 7" Torque Thrust wheel with 3 3/4" back space and needed a 5/16" spacer just on the driver's side.

I am running a Ford 9" rear so you probably can't go by my car. I am assuming it is the stock width but who knows? (it was put in the car by the original owner when it was brand new, don't know why he went thru that expense with a new car???)

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
What is the back spacing on a GN wheel? I am running the 275/60 DR's on my GN with a 7" Torque Thrust wheel with 3 3/4" back space and needed a 5/16" spacer just on the driver's side.

I am running a Ford 9" rear so you probably can't go by my car. I am assuming it is the stock width but who knows? (it was put in the car by the original owner when it was brand new, don't know why he went thru that expense with a new car???)

most likely the rear is not centered in the car ( which is why one side needs the spacer ) brackets could have been installed slightly off and/or if the rear was narrowed, done improperly

They rub on my '86 GN, maybe not in a straight line, but you can feel them rub at launch, but need only about a 3/16". No problems with T-type wheels except on off ramps above the posted limit.

Re: drag radials

Originally posted by WINDMILL
If you want some good hooking tires buy the new mickey thompson tires they work great. If the track is preped right, i've had a 1.63 sixty ft leaving at 10#. Leaving at 5 or 6# you dont need a burnout and still having a 1.66 sixty. Only thing done to the rear is the ATR sway bar so far. This is in a 90,000 mile stock car with a 51 turbo. Sorry for talking about these tires but they WORK!!!

thanks for all of the replies guys!!

are these M/T tires bias or radials?