Best way to tighten the balancer???

Pats-GN

Whats the easiest way to hold the balancer while applying 220ft/pounds to the bolt? :eek:

thanks
pat

I put bolts in the balancer and then a big bar between the bolts - then cranked on it with a torque wrench.

The machine shop and or dealer would just use an impact wrench :rolleyes:

I use an electric impact gun(heavy duty unit) that I got from Harbor Freight
Tools for $60...it's rated at 240 ft lbs...have been using it for years...put some blue loctite on the threads then hit it with the gun...I mark the bolt in relation to the balancer..hit it with about a 10 second blast and check the mark which tells me whether the bolt moved or not...if so I make another mark and hit it again...keep doing this until the bolt doesn't move then I give it one last 10 second blast...have done many this way and never had one come loose...you can rent those elec guns at some of the auto parts stores but for $60 it's a tool worth having...IMO

If on the stand, I use a flywheel turner up against on of the back "arms" of the stand. If in the car, I either use the flywheel turner against the bellhousing, or try to do as suggested with the bolts in the pulley. But they had better be soem strong bolts!

Squid

they were hi-grade bolts - they were - bent anyway.

I have a Craftsman 1/2" electric impact gun - be very careful with them things!!! They are powerful and will surprise one that lets them chatter too long on one bolt. Just for the hell of it, I let it rock on a bolt the same size, except course thread, as the balancer bolt. It did not take long for the bolt to snap. Was working on a big project with lots of big bolts and got bored :D

If its on a stand, take your jack handle and stick it in one of the flywheel holes till the motor wont turn because the handle is in the way of the block.

Tighten it down to 219Ft/lbs

BW