Best way to ship wheels and tires?

disco stu

I have a set of GN wheels and tires I need to sell. But Not sure how to ship or how much it will cost. What would be the best method? UPS/FedEx, freight, greyhound? Stack them on a pallat and strap them down? Individual boxes?

I have a set of GN wheels and tires I need to sell. But Not sure how to ship or how much it will cost. What would be the best method? UPS/FedEx, freight, greyhound? Stack them on a pallat and strap them down? Individual boxes?

A few months ago, I shipped 4 wheels with tires from Montreal, Can. to Las Vegas, NV through UPS. The total cost was somewhere around $275. To ship them, I wrapped each wheel/tire with some clear stretch "saran wrap" from a 1,000 ft. roll I bought at Wal Mart but before wrapping them, I printed 4 labels with the address info which I affixed to some round cardboard pieces that were taped to each side of each wheel and then, I wrapped them. To make sure the wrapping would stay on I secured everything with a couple of lenghts of clear tape on top of the saran wrapping.
The person who received them in LV said they arrived in good condition, no problem.
Hope this helps...

Claude. :wink:

John, I go down to Discount Tire and get their old boxes. They sell a lot of rims, just ask. For 15X8 rims, I try to find 16X9 boxes. That way I can put extra layers of cardboard surrounding the rims for protection. I tape the crap out of the boxes. I use UPS shipping and usually pay about $20 to $25 a box for shipping.
HTH

I usually cover the front and back of the rim with cardboard then wrap it with stretch plastic.Just incase when ups decides to free throw the rim it you still have the cardboard protecting the rim.

i recieved the wheels from claude in great shape.. i also paid around 240-250 for four wheels and tires to canada, from las vegas.. each wheel with tire weighted around 60lb if i remeber correctly. btw, claude if you get tired of the wheels, let me know.. i miss them:smile:

I ship rims, daily

rims only ,no tires, for 20 -25 every day,
using fedex,
in a std box, all over the US,

You may want to check with Greyhound. My parents have shipped a couple of things to me this way, and it was significantly cheaper than standard methods.

Claude that was great but I always wrap 2 wheels & tires together. 2 shipments not 4 would of saved about 35%. Most companies charge an additional $5-10 handling fee on tires per package.

Claude that was great but I always wrap 2 wheels & tires together. 2 shipments not 4 would of saved about 35%. Most companies charge an additional $5-10 handling fee on tires per package.

Brian, you may be right, but I didn't know that... :rolleyes: Doesn't 2 big shipments = 4 small ones? The total weight remains the same, only split in four instead of two...

Claude. :)

I get wheels and tires from Summit or Jegs all the time. They ship 2 rims in boxes, banded together and tires come bare with a shipping label taped to the outside. Tires are expensive due to oversize fees. Rims are by weight only.

:biggrin:

Brian, you may be right, but I didn't know that... :rolleyes: Doesn't 2 big shipments = 4 small ones? The total weight remains the same, only split in four instead of two...

Claude I wasn't knocking you for the way you shipped them at all. Just for future readers on how to save on shipping.
Most of the time 2 shipments are less expensive then 4. Each time you ship something they have base fees. Unless you get into oversize shipping.

Claude I wasn't knocking you for the way you shipped them at all. Just for future readers on how to save on shipping.
Most of the time 2 shipments are less expensive then 4. Each time you ship something they have base fees. Unless you get into oversize shipping.

No problem Brian! I didn't feel "knocked"...:biggrin: I'll take your word about shipping fees because I ship something every now and then, compared to you who's shipping some stuff every day...so I guess you must know! :wink:

Easiest method: Cut a round piece of cardboard, enough to cover each wheel only. tape them to the wheel, then go over the entire wheel with shrink wrap. Stick a UPS label on it, and ship them individually.

I have done this several times over the years. Tire Rack ships tire/wheel combinations with nylon strapping, two at a time, and shrink wraps them afterword, using the cardboard inserts to cover the wheels.

Easiest method: Cut a round piece of cardboard, enough to cover each wheel only. tape them to the wheel, then go over the entire wheel with shrink wrap. Stick a UPS label on it, and ship them individually.

Pretty much the same thing I was saying (post#3)...but you explained it better! :biggrin:

Claude. :smile: