Best way to ship a sway bar ????

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
Out of curiosity... I was wondering if UPS would ship an unboxed sway bar ?

I have a 1.5" rear bar I will need to ship today or tomorrow... and figured it would be easier to handle if it just had a label on it, instead of putting it in a huge box.

Opinions ?

You can always call and ask. I received one from a board member, but it was in a box. By the time UPS delivered it, it was falling out of the box. Same deal on a rear bar for my Honda, the bar was hanging out and the hardware was nowhere to be found
On the plus side, I did buy a GN spare. It simply had a mailing label applied to the tread area, and was banded several times with clear tape. Got to my house in perfect condition... go figure!

Yes

Yes, they will ship an unboxed bar. At one time we had few pallets of new GM 1LE camaro swaybars, and we shipped hundreds unboxed. Just wrap the label around the center of the bar, and put shipping tape around the label for protection.

Keep in mind, UPS and Fedex will charge an additional fee for unboxed/odd shaped items, so factor this into your quote.

Another thing, the bar will get scratched up pretty good in transit, so make sure you let the buyer know and get his agreement on the shipping method.

A good way to pack these is to visit a furniture store and dive into their dumpster for a big flat sheet of cardboard. pad the sharp ends of the bar and then wrap like a big burrito. Fold over the ends and then wrap like hell with packing tape.

If you are heading up to the Bethlehem area, I can pack it for you.
John (The Packaging Outlet)

i work for Fed-Ex ground, and yes we ship them (loose) all the time, if your worried about scratching it up just wrap it in bubble wrap. i deliver HUGE rear sway bars for u-haul (2 ton trucks) everyday unboxed. they look like one of those $510 hr parts rear bars. fyi

my 1.5" bar was shipped to me with no box, just a sticker on it :) shouldn't be hard at all

what kind of bar is it? Is it the 1.5" BMR bar?