Best way to seal stock intake?

SpeednV6

Fuel Pressure Gauges
I need to know what is the best way. I generally use the felpro valley pan (blue) and put on the two rubber end pieces. I put dabs of black sealant at the edges of these pieces and torque the intake accordingly. Is this the best way?

Black RTV is probably the most worthless **** on earth. It comes in contact with oil and it falls apart in no time. The bond lets go. Same goes for all that other crap. I use permatex "the right stuff" on everything nowadays. Ive never seen a better silicone sealer in my life. The stuff is awesome. Use it around the water jackets on both sides of the gasket...not alot, just enough, and squeeze some in the corners where the rubber seals meet the gasket. Dont use the sealer on the rubber pieces, just the corners. I applied it around the EGR valleys and intake ports and water jackets on the heads. Then I layed on the gasket, squeezed some in those corners, and then wiped it around all the ports/water jackets on the top side of the gasket, and then put it all together, and started tightening it down quick, cause once silicone starts to harden, it wont form very well.

I have used the Ultra Black oil resistant RTV on my rear main seal/cap repair and it worked fine. But your procedure looks good to me.

87gta-turbo said:
I have used the Ultra Black oil resistant RTV on my rear main seal/cap repair and it worked fine. But your procedure looks good to me.
The oil doesnt break down the RTV, its that the oil seeps between the RTV and the surface and breaks the cohesion, because RTV doesnt bond to the surface very well, even if you prep the surface with alcohol and sandpaper. "The right stuff" sealer seems to seep into the pores of the metal, even if you dont prep the surface at all. It takes a razor blade to get it off, even after its been sitting in oil. Even after the razor blade, all the tiny scratches and nicks still are embedded with this stuff. It just bonds so well its unreal. You could probably squeeze this stuff into a mold and make good quality OEM weatherstripping out of it.

nothing seals an intake better than GM Assembly Adhesive. get it from your local dealer. this stuff is stickier than anything ive ever seen and stays flexible once it dries. i dont use any gaskets on the ends of any intake ive installed on any v type engine. those rubber or cork gaskets require compression to seal against the block, you cant tighten the intake down enough to maintain pressure required to keep a seal. so theys like to leak. just glue them intakes on the ends. :D

SpeednV6 said:
I need to know what is the best way. I generally use the felpro valley pan (blue) and put on the two rubber end pieces. I put dabs of black sealant at the edges of these pieces and torque the intake accordingly. Is this the best way?

Thanks exactly what I have done the many times I have installed intakes. Works for me. Never had a leak.