best way to convert to OBD2?

LITLV6

WESTSIDE LOWRIDERS
So I have an 86 GN that I've owned since 2007. t-top car in really great condition for 92k original miles. I have siemens 60lb injectors with newer harness, accufab regulator, walbro 342 pump, adjustable waist gate with a Turbo tweak chip with baseline tune for 100 octane which gets expensive. car makes roughly 23psi which i don't really think it should be that high given what I have. I haven't had much luck finding anyone I trust to try to tune the chip. I have a scanmaster in the car but so few know how to tune it. So I've been wondering if it would be better to go to an OBD2 setup and ditch the OBD0 system....

I'm looking for advice here. I know theres more power in the car and I really don't car to do crazy numbers given the T-top and i would never cage the car but id like the car to have a proper tune.. thanks for any tips, tricks and sorry ahead of time if this has been asked to death.... thanks

So I have an 86 GN that I've owned since 2007. t-top car in really great condition for 92k original miles. I have siemens 60lb injectors with newer harness, accufab regulator, walbro 342 pump, adjustable waist gate with a Turbo tweak chip with baseline tune for 100 octane which gets expensive. car makes roughly 23psi which i don't really think it should be that high given what I have. I haven't had much luck finding anyone I trust to try to tune the chip. I have a scanmaster in the car but so few know how to tune it. So I've been wondering if it would be better to go to an OBD2 setup and ditch the OBD0 system....

I'm looking for advice here. I know theres more power in the car and I really don't car to do crazy numbers given the T-top and i would never cage the car but id like the car to have a proper tune.. thanks for any tips, tricks and sorry ahead of time if this has been asked to death.... thanks

What?

No you don’t want to do that. It shouldn't even be an option for you to consider.

You just need a chip for 93 octane and to probably turn the boost down a few pounds.

And if you don’t know anything about tuning your car, and not that interested or have time to understand the intricacies, that’s fine too.

But then you really should have the car looked at by a reputable Buick shop. Just to go through it a bit and get it all tip-top.

Ya, in addition to a 93 chip, the flowmaster exhaust system is hurting performance and there are way better coverters now than a red stripe. You might consider an alkycontrol system and matching chip too. You could run higher than 15psi with the 93 alone.

You can install a FAST XFI which will provide lots of data real time and recorded with a laptop.

Also, like new cars, it has adaptive learning.

Figure about $3K for the unit, wiring and tuning.

Turbo tweak recently came out with the new GN ECU . Bison would be a good person to contact about what you are trying to improve and what your next step should be.

Turbo tweak? XFI? Come on guys.

Once again, we need to stop pushing the OP into a realm he obviously stated he has no interest going in to. His combination could use a little work, but stepping into an aftermarket ECU is a big step for a guy who doesn't know how to tune a "chip" car.

When someone says they want to go fast, or sooner or later know it's inevitable, then no bullshit, then it's time to consider these options and step it up.

For the OP, keep in mind OBD-II is still never an option.

Just get a new chip for your combo for 93 octane and 16-17 psi. Problem solved

Tuning using the turbo tweak chip you already have and the scan master is pretty basic. Turn the boost down to ~16lbs and back timing off to 19 degrees 1st/2nd and 17 degrees 3rd/4th with 93 octane. Follow the instructions Eric sent with the chip for that. Then work your way back up with the boost a pound or two.

Or keep the 100 octane chip and add Torco to 93 if you still want boost in the 23 range.

Tuning using the turbo tweak chip you already have and the scan master is pretty basic. Turn the boost down to ~16lbs and back timing off to 19 degrees 1st/2nd and 17 degrees 3rd/4th with 93 octane. Follow the instructions Eric sent with the chip for that. Then work your way back up with the boost a pound or two.

Or keep the 100 octane chip and add Torco to 93 if you still want boost in the 23 range.
maybe I should try this.... Ive been under the impression since day one that it was base tuned to use more fuel than needed to keep it safe.... maybe i'm misunderstanding but was under the impression you can only change how much fuel and timing in each gear. Am I correct here? I was figuring i could pull fuel in first and second making sure I wasn't going into knock and pickup more power...… that's the way ive understood it. how far off am i.

maybe I should try this.... Ive been under the impression since day one that it was base tuned to use more fuel than needed to keep it safe.... maybe i'm misunderstanding but was under the impression you can only change how much fuel and timing in each gear. Am I correct here? I was figuring i could pull fuel in first and second making sure I wasn't going into knock and pickup more power...… that's the way ive understood it. how far off am i.
You’re not far off. The chip is burned for the specific boost and fuel octane you told Eric when you ordered it. Turning the boost from 23 to 17 will make it run rich at WOT. You will likely need to remove some fuel at WOT in all gears via the chip. You should set timing for the octane used. How much of both depends on what the scan master numbers are telling you. Go in small increments from rich to lean, shooting for 780-800 on the scanmaster with no knock in 3rd gear. Once you’re there you can play with 1st/2nd gear fuel, timing, etc...to fine tune it. Although not required, a wideband o2 is safer and more accurate.

STOP !!!! :eek: Have TT do another chip (93) for exactly what ya have. You can run the chip on default and it will work pretty damm good right outta the box. TT has done chips for us for 12 sec to 9 sec cars. Had customers who didn't want to mess around trying to tune. Once your comfortable with it you can make changes if ya want. KEEP IT SIMPLE AN STUPID !

STOP !!!! :eek: Have TT do another chip (93) for exactly what ya have. You can run the chip on default and it will work pretty damm good right outta the box. TT has done chips for us for 12 sec to 9 sec cars. Had customers who didn't want to mess around trying to tune. Once your comfortable with it you can make changes if ya want. KEEP IT SIMPLE AN STUPID !
You see?

I told you so.;)